18. Sleepless Night

Xander cannot believe what he just blurted out. It was already good that Erin did not further ask, but he was the one who insisted on it. He was just asking for an early heartbreak. He knew that Erin cannot reciprocate his feelings even after the kiss they shared earlier. It will be always that bastard Will in her heart.

"What did you say?" Erin asked and he sighed of relief. Xander murmured giving thanks to the waves that save him.

"We should be careful, more..." He said trying to correct what he just first said.

Erin nodded at that and walked still facing him.

"You are asking for an injury," he said and she stopped waiting for Xander to come closer.

"Thank you, Xander. I don't think there would be next time to say this." She murmured not looking at Xander. She was a nice lady and she was not doing any good about his growing feelings for her.

"I understand we can't be friends after this and I have a favor to ask from you." She added.

"What is it?"

"Please stop being nice to me." She said and looked at him this time. They were staring at each other now.

"I'm just doing my job." He reasoned but deep inside he knew that he was doing more than his job entails.

"No, you do more and I cannot be used to it. The day will come that this would end and I don't think I will be okay." She said with honesty and Xander cannot be honest to her yet.

"Alright." He agreed and she gave him a weak smile before she turned around and walked.

"By the way, we can go back to the villa tomorrow and I will be gone for two days and when I'm back, I will tell you everything," Xander said and her steps halted again.

"Don't worry about Will as long as he did not know that you are back then you should be fine." He continued and he saw how her back relaxed at that.

They continued walking on the quiet shore and how he wished they are walking hand on hand to fight together with the coldness of the night.

Later that night, Xander was sleepless. He was staring at the ceiling and remembered the first and passionate kiss they shared earlier. His manly hand was roaming around her soft skin, his hands tingled of the thought. How her lips tasted sweet and he instantly feels his own lips wavered. The way he pressed her on the tree, and he can't continue of the thought as he was breathing raggedly. It was a bad idea to taste something he can't have whole. It was driving him insane and he can't even do something about it.

Given a little time to sleep, the sun already rose in the east and Xander got up for an early breakfast. He grabbed some shades before he went out of his room and wore them once he was outside. His eyes are sensitive when he is sleepless and he can't let Erin see his state. He arrived at the dining hall and immediately spotted the woman's back he was thinking all night. She was lining up to get some plates and later was facing him. They were both eyeing each other behind the sunglasses they were wearing.

"Is it okay if I'm wearing them? My eyes were a little bit sensitive this morning." Xander asked the moment they sat down.

"It's okay. I cannot take them off as well." Erin gave him a thin smile and he stared at her pale lips longer. Not that she can see him staring at it.

"You look pale. Are you alright?" but he can't stop asking, so she knew that he was looking at her.

Erin then arched her right eyebrow and he was reminded about her favor last night.

"I think we need to categorize what can I do and what I cannot do. I'm just making sure you are okay and it's part of the job." He reasoned and Erin chuckled.

"I'm okay, I just was not able to sleep last night." She said.

"Because of Will..." He concluded and Erin did not comment as she stuffed her mouth with a pancake.

"Hmm..." She moaned and Xander just stared at her. He will always remember her being happy when it comes to eating.

"What is your go-to go breakfast aside from that salad?" She asked eyeing his untouched salad.

"Egg and bulletproof coffee. It's a good meal to start a day."

"I know that! Should I make you one?"

"Sure if you gladly offered. This salad is just an appetizer, this man will eat like a king today." His comeback and he likes it, having a normal conversation with Erin during breakfast.

"I better get up and make your coffee your Majesty." She curtsied and they shared a burst of hearty laughter before Erin was out of his sight. Xander was grateful to experience that he once shared a good breakfast with her.

He was waiting for his coffee when his phone beeped.

"12 PM in the headquarter." A message from Rebel. He was hoping that his last-minute request last night did not complicate their ongoing operation. It's not his nature to have a last-minute change of the plan he personally devised, but Erin comes first this time.

"Here is your coffee!" Erin immediately placed the burning coffee in front of him.

"Okay." He sent a short reply to Rebel.

"Thank you." He said to Erin and grabbed the white china.

"No, let me serve you because I want to thank you," Erin said.

"But you already have done thanking me last night."

"It's different. Words are not enough for a thank you. You do more than enough. First for saving my life..."

"I told you it's my job."

"And you could have failed. And for last night, it was so wrong..." She stopped.

Xander stood up and left her alone in the table. He had enough, his head was pounding and he cannot listen more from Erin.

"Xander, wait!"