Chapter 4

Stiles' POV

I sat on my desk as I did my assignment. The hamster on my lap... I didn't want to let it go, somehow it's like we had this bond.. It's as if the hamster was a friend of mine from the very beginning. I don't know how to explain it but I just loved it already. The hamster was dear to my heart... I just felt safe with it, safe and happy with it.

It stirred on my lap... It was awake. I looked down at it as I shut my book, I was through with my assignments. I had this peace within me... A kind of peace that I didn't have before. I took it in my hands, stroked it as it gave out a soft purr before placing it on top of my book.

"Hey.. Are you hungry?". I asked.

It squeaked.

"I will take that as a 'yes'". I said as I picked it up and went downstairs. My father wasn't around but the house stunk of alcohol. The bottles were still on the carpet in the living room... scattered.

I exhaled sharply as I made my way to the kitchen.

"Don't mind that, my father...." I paused. Why was I talking to the hamster as if it was a person? As if it'd understand what I'd say?. I think I'm really crazy.

"Never mind.." I said as I placed it on the kitchen island and opened the fridge.

"What would you like to have?" I asked as I looked in the fridge only to see leftover pizza from last night and a bowl containing uncooked beef. I sighed.

"Will you eat pizza with me?". I asked. Hamsters eat pellets, cheese... What else? I have none of those here so I guess it'll starve for a while or it'll eat the pizza with me.

I took the pizza out as I shut the fridge and placed it in the microwave to heat. I took a small crumble from the pizza after heating it and gave it to the hamster. It sniffed it before gladly taking it in it's small front limbs and nibbling on it.

"Are you a she? Or a he?". I asked.

It squeaked.

"A he?". I asked. It stopped and looked at me. It acts as if it understands me.

"I think that's a 'no'". I mumbled.
"So, you are a 'she' huh?".

It squeaked.

"You act as if you understand me.. You know... The way you squeak when I ask a question.. I really do wish you could understand me.. I really need company.. Someone to talk to..". I paused as an idea flashed in my mind.

"Or are you a were-hamster?". I asked. It... I mean she squeaked.

I narrowed my eyes as I placed down my pizza.

"Are you a were-hamster? I wouldn't be surprised.. I've had a friend whose a werewolf... I had a coyote and a kitsune as a friend as well before.... Before shit happened". I said the last part in a small voice.

I inhaled deeply.

"I'm really tired with the supernatural shit". I said. The hamster looked... Sad?. Was it really a were-hamster?.

"Are you really a were-hamster?". I asked. It did nothing... No squeak... No purr... It just dropped the small piece of pizza crumble I'd given it and backed away from me a few inches. It was a were-hamster. I could tell through that action... It was sad after I'd said about the 'supernatural stuff'...