Chapter 34

My eyes were shut tight, trying to ignore the bright light before me that threatened to wake me from my slumber. But the light was persistant, and only seemed to glow brighter the more I tried to avoid looking at it.

Where was I? My chest felt tight, in the way it always did when I was worried. Something had happened... something that had made me afraid... what was it?

Lucifer!

Alarmed, I opened my eyes quickly, taking in my surroundings. What had happened? Lucifer had done something to me, I was sure of it. He had attacked, and now I was... here. But where was here? Looking down at myself, my clothes had become pure white, but most notably, I was soaking wet. 

Pure white stretched out for miles around me, it was all I could see in every direction. But there was no detail, no shape, only white light. 

I squinted to see through it, and I realised the light was most concentrated up ahead. The brightness seemed to recede, and the surroundings became clear - I was back in Heaven, on the cloudsoil. 

And this bright thing in front of me... was it a man? Through the light I could make out his figure, but only just. There was no detail in this mans face... only light. All that I could truly see was the staff that he held, a tall silver cane.

Was this...?

"God." A voice growled. Looking to my left, I saw the source of the voice emerge. It was Lucifer. I flinched back, what was he doing here? How had he accessed Heaven without the sword? He was scowling at the bright figure before us. "What do you want?"

To my right, I noticed Noah was here too. He was frowning at God, like he was confused. I was glad to see him, to know that he was safe, despite whatever was happening - though I noticed that like me, his clothes were soaked through with water. Additionally, hoards of angels were gathered here, though they were keeping their distance. 

God slowly stumbled forwards, leaning heavily on his cane for support, breathing heavily like it was a laboured task. How could this be God? The man who had created everything, and yet he was weak. Every step appeared to be torture for him, how could this be?

"Enough with the fighting." He said, his voice sounded tired, but just the sound of it sent an instant wave of relaxation through my body. "Enough."

Was it God who had brought us here? 

"You can't control me." Lucifer hissed. "Those days are long gone!"

God let out an exasperated sigh. "Yes, yes. You've told me before. Countless times. I have left you alone for eons, Lucifer. I do not intend to control you."

Lucifer seemed surprised, his eyes narrowed, as though he were suspicious. "Then why am I here?"

"Because you keep attacking my protégée!" God roared, causing the soil beneath us to shake. I looked up at Noah, alarmed. He was looking back at me, equally surprised. Was he talking about me? "Stop sending your little minions after her immediately!" 

"I don't tell them what to do! I'm not a dictator!" Lucifer shouted back, furious. 

"The Fallen follow you whether you like it or not, Satan!" God hissed back at him, the name caused Lucifer's eyes to narrow, and his expression became frightening. "Don't play the fool, you attacked her only moments ago!"

So he was talking about me... What did that mean? I was his protégée?

"She destroyed my sword!" Lucifer yelled, pointing a finger towards me, though he did not take his eyes away from God. "She deserves whatever she gets!"