three

The Next Day

We were at the sandlot playing as usual. Ham was up to bat, hyping himself up as Ham 'The Babe' Porter and the like. When Kenny threw the ball, Ham swung but missed it.

"You call that pitching?" Ham taunted. "This is baseball, not tennis."

"Alright Ham, this is my Heater. I dare you to hit it." Kenny teased Ham.

Squints commented on Ham needing a bigger bat or having Kenny pitch him a basketball, but we ignored him. Kenny threw his Heater and to our surprise, Ham actually hit it. The ball flew over the fence at the back of the lot. Rumor was a Beast lived on the other side, and none of us - except Ham - were too keen on him hittinf that ball.

"Long shot by The Babe!" Ham shouted, running the bases. All he got in return was our complaints and our mitts flying at him.

Squints warning tore through the boys shouting almost instantly. He screamed 'No!', grabbing everyone's attention. Turning to face the fence where Ham had hit the home run, a boy was climbing on the fence.

We ran to him as fast as we could, some grabbing at the boy to get him down. When he was off the fence and facing us, I saw it was Scotty Smalls.

"What?" Smalls asked through sighs of the others. He was confused, rightfully so.

"You coulda been killed man, killed!" Squints shouted.

"Yeah yeah, man" Yeah Yeah agreed.

"What?" Smalls asked again. Benny walked up to Smalls then, presumably to explain the fiasco.

"Smalls. Walk up to that fence, peek through that hole, and tell us what you see." Benny said, ominously.

"W-what's behind the fence?" Smalls asked, fear spreading on his face.

"Just do it." Benny insisted.

"Just, just do it." Everybody chanted in.

Smalls reluctantly walked up to the fence and looked through the little hole in the wood. Almost as soon as he did, he ran back visibly stunned. I jumped back, my natural reaction to his sudden movements - straigh back into Benny.

"Sorry, " I whispered, half embarrassed. Benny only smiled, which made me blush even more than I already was. I looked over at Yeah Yeah, smile wide on his face, to which I smiled back sarcastically. Yeah Yeah rolled his eyes, I returned the action. I zoned out the rest of what they said, lost in thought, so the next thing I heard was, "Camp out!"

A/N:

Sorry this chapter was really short and boring. It'll get better and be longer next time. I will probably have really slow updates since school started again. I will try to update as much as I can though. Tell me if you like my story please.

[EDITED 2/4/19: LOTS OF IMPROVEMENTS YIKES]