New Faking It Chapter: 19

I don't do much for the next few days. Or at least it doesn't feel like it. I lay in bed late at night, staring at the ceiling until I somehow fall asleep. I wake up and go to lessons. Sometimes I see Travis Stoll on my way to the dinning hall. Or at Campfires. Or during competitive activities. Unfortunately, he's almost always accompanied by his girlfriend. His real girlfriend.

About a week after the beach party something inside of my twists. "Good morning," I smile at my siblings.

"You okay, Katie?" A little brother of mine asks.

"Yeah," I ruffle his hair.

"Katie, you know you can talk to us if you need to. Break ups can be really-"

"Please," I brush off another sibling. "I think I'm actually myself again."

"Are you sure?"

"Guy, I'm your head counselor. You really think I'm going to let a Stoll get the best of me?"

I watch as my siblings weigh my response. Soon they smile.

"There's the Katie we know and love," one of my sisters beams. "Taken or single-children of Demeter keep their head up!"

More of my siblings smile. Believing my recovery, they get ready for breakfast.

"You're lying," Railynn whispers beside me.

"They don't need to know that," I say under my breath.

Miranda shakes her head.

My two best friends sigh. In confidentiality, they know the truth. I'm just tired of being seen as broken. Railynn swears that he and I were very compatible, that we were going to be such a cute couple. Miranda completely ignores Trav-the Stoll, when she goes and hangs out with Connor. She says she feels bad for being with his brother. I say that my happiness shouldn't trouble her and make her's difficult.

"Everybody ready for breakfast? Come on, let's head out," I smile and lead the cabin to the dining hall.

My siblings and I march into the hall and get our food. I let m'y siblings go in line ahead of me as Miranda and I bring up the rear.

A few cabins are here before us, including the Athena, Aphrodite, Apollo, and Hephaestus children. Waiting in line for cereal, she nudges my arm, "You have a seen to have a follower."

I look over my shoulder and notice the curly haired son of Hermes. The older Stoll brother leads his cabin through the dining hall doors. His eyes meet and he begins to walk in my direction. He brings his arm up to wave at me but Myra grabs hold of it and laced their fingers together.

"Good morning, Trav," I hear her smile at him.

"Hi, Myra," He offers as I look away.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Something makes me feel like a rock was just dropped into my stomach. I cant decide if I'm disappointed he didn't come up to me, or that I almost wanted him to.

"Let's not thing about my ex, shall we?" I sigh. I grab a bowl once close enough.

"Let's not have you lie about your emotional state," Miranda counters.

I shoot her a look.

She raises her hands in a mock surrender.

"Hey, I'll catch up with you later, okay?" I watch over Miranda's shoulder as Stoll gives Myra a quick kiss on the cheek.

"What do you mean, where are you going?" She asks, but he's already making his way towards us.

"Huh, trouble in paradise?" Miranda raises her eyebrows.

"The real trouble is why he's coming our way," I whisper.

"Not our way," She tsks. "He's going to you."

"Oh no, he's not," I pour the milk into my cereal.

"Hi, Katie," Travis smiles at me as he slips into line with us.

"Hi." I reach for a spoon. My hand is shaking.

"We haven't talked in a short while-"

"I know." I hope my voice isn't shaking too.

"How have you been," He tries.

"Fantastic." I cut shortly as I pick up my bowl and walk away.

At our cabin's table Miranda frowns as she sits next to me. "Oh, yes, he was," She finishes.

"Oh shut up."

"Why didn't you just talk regularly to him?"

"He's my ex, Mir, I can't just talk like everything's fine. I felt like I was shaking."

"Well things don't seem so fine with him and Myra either," She nods once and I frown. Following her gaze I see the daughter of Apollo staring straight at me, a hard glare in her eyes.

"Oh, this is just great." I shove a spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

july18th2020