Chapter 14: Depressed Alex

Today was one of the best days of my life. I got to sit with Ryan, after a long time, on the hood of his car while eating some fries and watching kids play around the park. We reminisced funny events from the past, laughing and teasing each other about embarrassing moments too. And it all made me feel ten again, when I was wild and carefree, not caring about what the world thought.

We didn’t realize time had gone so fast until we saw people had started to pack and leave. I checked my time and found it was past five. How long had we been here?!

“It’s getting late, we should go,” I had told Ryan before hopping off his car. He does so too, and we both got ready to leave.

“Nice hoodie, by the way.” He was clearly mocking me, which made a blush creep up my cheek. Glancing down at the black hoodie, I realized how stupid it had been for me to had worn to school. Now not only will people think me crazy, but a freak with no fashion sense. Great!

On our way back home, I kept wondering what excuse I was going to give my parents. Dad might not be home now, but mum surely was, and she was the one who always asked too many questions.

“Thank you, Ryan. I had fun today,” I said before stepping down from his car as we were already at my place.

“I did too.” He smiled back, making him look more handsome than he was.

“Wanna come in? You could stay for dinner.” I didn’t want to part with him just yet, I really did like his company.

“Maybe next time, my mum might already be worried.” He declined politely. “See you at school tomorrow?”

“Yeah, you will.” I watched him drive off, making me feel a slight ache in my chest.

Sighing, I turned to go in but then heard my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I took it out to see a text had popped in from an unknown number. Who could it be?

Hey beautiful, it’s Trevor. Can I call you now?

Oh, I almost forgot all about him. Suddenly, I didn’t feel so excited to go out with him anymore. I didn't even know why I accepted in the first place. He was cute and all, but I wasn't so interested anymore.

Maybe later, I’m busy helping my mum out.

I texted back then proceeded to the front door. Immediately I opened it, I saw mum standing there with an apron on and a teasing smile on her lips.

“Was that Ryan I saw out there, dropping you off?" She wiggled her eyebrows, making me roll my eyes at her.

“Yes, it was. You’re not mad I’m home late?”

"As long as Ryan was the reason, then no problem." She winked at me. "You need a boy in your life anyway, you've never introduced anyone to me as your boyfriend. I was starting to get worried.” She walked back into the kitchen, and I could see her already making dinner.

“What? No, mum, you know Ryan was and is my very close friend, right?” I asked surprised she would think of both Ryan, and I like that. She knew how close we were when little.

“Yeah...right. Your father and I were once close friends too.” She had a smirk on her face as she winked at me while I blushed beet red.

“Mum!” I frowned, not liking what she was implying. Well, actually the thought of Ryan and I wasn’t so bad...

“Just go bath and get ready for dinner. Oh, and that reminds me, Alex is up in your room. She came here half an hour ago looking for you, and she did not look so good. Is everything okay with her?” She asked while being distracted with what she was cooking, as she went around the kitchen looking for different things.