Chapter 6

I apologize for the late update. I promise to update more often.

Cameron's recent break-up with Audrey added to his Monday morning gloom. He had called her and texted her about a hundred times, but she had only replied to one his texts, telling him to leave her alone.

"She'll come around. Even if she doesn't, there are plenty of fish in the sea," said Caleb as Cameron scowled.

"Audrey, wait." Cameron followed her to her locker.

"Cameron, I told you we're over and to leave me alone," Audrey crossed her arms.

"Audrey, I'm sorry. I promise, I'll prioritize you more. Please give me another chance," he pleaded.

"Oh my goodness. I'm done discussing this. I've given you plenty of chances," she said exasperatedly.

"Please. I'll do anything"

"Okay. Then do one thing. Stop being friends with Caleb."

"That's not fair. He's my best friend. I don't tell you to stop being friends with your best friend," said Cameron indignantly.

"Fine, be friends with Caleb. But forget me," said Audrey as she walked away.

"Audrey ... Audrey" Cameron slammed the locker next to him as Audrey looked back, shaking her head.

Caleb put his arm on his shoulder. "I told you man. Not point forcing her. If she doesn't want you, forget about her. There are plenty of other girls. You're finally free to explore instead of being stuck with the same person since fifth grade".

"But ..."

"If you really want her, maybe she'll come around once she's cooled down. But for now, let's get to class. Come on." Caleb ushered Cameron away from the lockers.

_____________________________

Sydney tapped her feet and fidgeted with her hair as she sat on the bench outside the school counselor, Mrs.Figg's office. She had half a mind to barge in and complain about how long it was taking when the door opened and Caitlin came out.

"Ms. Baizen, you're next," said Mrs. Figgs.

Both girls rolled their eyes at each other before Sydney entered the office.

"Brown and Columbia? But I applied to Yale," she said indignantly as she eyed Brown and Columbia's brochures on the desk.

"My apologies, Ms. Baizen. Those were Ms. Archibald's. I'll just put those away and get the Yale Brochure."

"I thought she applied to Columbia?" asked Sydney.

"Columbia and Brown. She's confused about where to attend."

Sydney perked up with interest. "Has she decided?"

Mrs. Biggs ran her hands through her hair and adjusted the cuffs of her sleeves. "Ms. Baizen, I'm not at liberty to discuss that. I've already told you too much."

"But just enough for me to stir up trouble," Sydney thought to herself.

_______________________________

Sydney exasperatedly rolled eyes at a bunch of loud students that she passed as she made her way through the cafeteria. She spotted Caitlin and her friends. Despite what Isabella said about Sam's disappointment, he showed no signs of being any less interested in Caitlin. The couple looked just as happy as they usually were.

"Caitlin, it was nice bumping into you outside Mrs.Bigg's office. It's a bummer that you're confused between Brown and Columbia. I hope you manage to figure it out," said Sydney with tones of mock concern.

Sam narrowed his eyes "Wait what? You applied to Brown?"

"I was going to tell you. But I didn't know how," Caitlin said quickly.

"But we always planned on going to Columbia together," said Sam.

"I know. But I'm confused if I want my whole life to be in New York or I should at least explore college life in a different state. And Brown has been part of my family's history."

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked indignantly.

Caitlin blushed as she looked down. "I'm sorry. I wanted to. But you were all excited about us being at Columbia together and I was afraid."

"Have you decided?"

"I'm still confused."

"If you'll all excuse me. I need to get some air," said Sam as he walked away, ignoring Caitlin weakly call after him.

Sydney walked away feeling triumphant. All she would need now is to get Isabella to use this to further plant doubts in Sam's mind about Caitlin's feelings for him.

__________________________

Audrey has to control herself from yawning as Mr. Drummond, her History teacher drawled on in front on the class.

"Alright class, I expect a detailed report on Christopher Columbus and you'll be working in assigned pairs," Mr. Drummond announced.

Audrey groaned. She hated assigned pairs. She always ended up being assigned with someone she couldn't stand.

"Smith, you're to pair with Wilson, Davis, you're to pair with Calhoun, Bass, you're to pair with Humphrey ..."

Audrey just knew it. She looked at Jonathan who looked just as annoyed as her. At least they agreed on something.

"But Mr. Drummond, Humphrey and I don't get along. It would interfere in the quality of our work. Please switch our pairs," she tried to reason.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Bass. I'm afraid I can't do that. Working with someone you don't get along with is character building and prepares you for the workplace where you can't object to working with someone you don't get along with," he said.

Audrey cornered Jonathan after class. If they were stuck working together, she had to make the best of it.

"Listen Humprhey. I don't like working with you ..."

"And working with you was just on top of my wish list," said Jonathan.

"Bup, bup ... I am still talking," Audrey held up her hand. "I'm not going to let you ruin my grade. We'll just have suck it up and work on this assignment in a civil manner before going back to hating each other. Do you have a problem with that?"

"Fine by me," he said.

"Good," she said before walking away, with her nose up in the air. 

=to be continued=