Part 9

Sam lay in his bed with his book on his chest. He had been reading the same line over and over again until he slammed it shut. He scrolled through his contacts till he reached Caitlin's name. "Call her", a voice in his head said. But something held him back. It wasn't that he was still mad at her but he wasn't sure where they stood.

"Master Ritcher", there's a young lady here to see you", said Inez, their housekeeper.

Sam's heart raced. "Caitlin?"

"No, it's a Ms. Baizen."

"Alright, I'll be right down."

Sam entered the hall to see Sydney looking around admiringly. He didn't understand why. The Ritcher Triplex Penthouse was lavish but Sam didn't think the Baizen Penthouse was anything less to look at.

"Sydney, hey"

Sydney turned around giving him a seductive smile. "Hey"

"Isabella is not in I'm afraid. She's out with our parents".

"Actually I'm here to see you," she almost smirked.

Sam didn't know how to respond to this. All he could manage was a "Me? What about?"

"Can we please speak in private?" Sydney look around.

"No one's here".

"But the help is around," she pointed out. "Please".

"Alright, let's go to my dad's study," he offered.

Sam wasn't sure if he was imagining it but he could swear he saw a flash of disappointment pass through her face.

When they entered his dad's study, Sydney sat on one of the couches, scowling.

"Come on, sit. I won't bite".

He reluctantly took a seat beside her. "Sydney, what's wrong?"

"I don't know how to begin. I really like you Sam. I know that you're technically still with Caitlin and believe me that doing this makes me embarrassed but ..."

This wasn't entirely surprising to Sam as Sydney had often made passes at him, but wasn't prepared for a blatant confession. If he didn't know how to respond to her wanting to see him, this left him completely at a lost.

Sydney continued. "But I couldn't not tell you how I feel. I couldn't not give us a chance. After all, most high school relationships end and I know that what I feel for you is stronger than what Caitlin feels for you." She put her hand on his lap as she batted her eyelashes and bit her bottom lip.

"Look Sydney ...." Sam tried to free his lap from her hand.

"Let me finish. I really tried to move on. I was with Levi last year but he moved to LA for college. We always discussed staying in Manhattan, but he applied without telling me."

This hit close to home for Sam.

Sydney took his hand. "Levi was meant to move to LA and Caitlin always wanted to go to Brown. But we're both meant to be right here in New York. And I am ready to let you in like Caitlin never did," she whispered in his ear before kissing his neck.

Sam felt a fleeting tinge of pleasure but quickly pulled himself away. For a moment he couldn't help but think Sydney had a point, but yet he couldn't betray Caitlin. He loved her and even his moment of hesitation filled him with guilt. Whatever may happen in future and despite the tension between them, they were still together at present. He didn't even have have Ross Gellar's "We were on a break excuse".

"I'm sorry but I can't do this," he stood up.

Sydney stood up as well. "Sam I know that you feel guilty but is there a point is holding on to a relationship that's going to end anyways?" Aren't you both technically broken up anyways? You know that you want this deep inside." She reached to kiss him but Sam stopped her.