Chapter Fourteen

"You are very cheerful this morning," Gills accused Maddox, as he reached for the toast rack.

Maddox had been staring into his cup, seeing the lovely Miss Kilbrierry—no... Emily—rather than his morning coffee. What a kiss that had been! And soon... With some effort, he straightened his lips.

"It was a pleasant evening yesterday. Didn't you think so?"

"Apart from the nasty widow." Gills agreed. "Did you enjoy your drink with the baron and his lovely daughter?"

And the walk in the garden afterwards... Maddox caught back another fatuous smile.

"Quite. I heard you telling Julia about Vanderberg's offer," he said, to change the subject. "Does this mean you are going to take the job?"

"One has to have something to do to fill the days, does one not? And Vanderberg is a capital fellow."

Maddox stifled a chuckle. "I see."

"My lord," came from the doorway, "you have a visitor, two visitors, in fact. Lord Stocke and Lord Piero D'Alvieri." The butler who came with the house handed over their calling cards on a silver tray.

"That was fast," Maddox muttered. "You might as well stay here, Gills. Whatever they have to say involves you, too."

"You can't keep me away, Mad." Gills took a seat in an armchair.

"Lord Joseph Gildeforte!" Stocke said when he walked in the room, even before he greeted his brother. "That answers that question. Can we assume you have Lady Athol Soddenfeld with you?"

"You could assume it," Gills said, "but you'd be wrong."

"We know where she is, in any case, and it is good to see you, too, brother." Maddox said. With a nod toward Piero, he said, "And you, Lord Piero. Do you come as emissary from the duke?"

"Indeed. I am to bring Lady Athol back to England to her family."

"She will not go," Gills said, offering around cups for coffee while Maddox gave directions to the butler.

"She might go," Maddox amended, once the servant was on his way to bring back pastries and fresh coffee and tea. "She is concerned, as we all are, about what's happened with Lord Athol."

"Aye," Stocke said, but not until the butler had cleared the doorway and shut the door. "Rightly concerned, but she's got the full weight of her family behind her. No one who knows her believes her at fault. But if she doesn't come back while the duke manages things, she'll never be able to come back again. She'll be a fugitive. He can buy her some time, but not forever."

Piero added, "With no offense intended, Gills, the same goes for you. Both of you need to answer questions, but both of you have the full force of the Wellbridges, and all of their barristers, behind you."

Gills objected on Julia's behalf. "Her family certainly wasn't behind her a few months ago."

Piero had an answer. "That was the work of the old duke and duchess. The new Wellbridge and his bride do not wish to maintain that grudge. The duke is anxious Lady Athol be returned to them unharmed, so she might take her place in the family again. No one wishes harm to Lady Athol."

"She goes by Julia here. Julia Marloughe," Gills corrected. "She won't thank you for calling out her title or her former husband's name. And she's set a path for herself. She is not going to return with you willingly."

"Then she will return with me unwillingly," Piero said flatly. "For she will be in the presence of the Duke of Wellbridge in as expedient a manner as possible, if she must be bound hand and foot to do it."