Epilogue, Part 3

Lady Rookscombe was a force of nature, and Maddox wondered whether he would, indeed, emerge unscathed. If she set herself against the marriage, would Emily go through with it? And what did she want to know of him?

"Very well, Lord Maddox," she said, once they were alone. "Convince me that I should trust you enough to give my Emily into your power."

That laid his path clear before him. "As you are in Lord Rookscombe's, my lady?" Was that a crinkle at the corner of the lady's eyes? A subtle movement of the muscles in the direction of a smile? He pressed his point. "The law in England gives me the advantage, it is true. I have redressed that, as much as I can, in the settlements my solicitor has drawn up after Emily and I agreed the key points. I have the documents for her to review in my baggage."

"You shall discuss those documents with my husband," Lady Rookscombe demanded.

"With Emily's permission," Maddox agreed.

Yes. Definitely a softening of the lady's expression. She acknowledged the point with a regal inclination of the head.

"I think you will trust me only when you have witnessed for yourself that I truly love your daughter, Lady Rookscombe, and that will take time. Words are only words, but words are all I can give you this morning. I love Emily with every particle of my being. I won't say I could not live without her, but I would be only a shell of a man if she were to leave me. I want her as my partner, my friend, my life's companion. And I want the child she carries and any others with which we may be blessed."

Emily's mother did nothing so crass as purse her lips, but another of those tiny movements indicated that she was thinking over what he was saying. "I will acknowledge that you have made a start, Maddox. That is what they call you, is it not? Not Joseph?"

He smiled. "My mother calls me Joseph, and I would be honoured if you choose to do likewise, my lady."

"We shall reserve that option," Lady Rookscombe decided. "Maddox, you agreed to wed Emily in Paris, as she chose. You have convinced her that you love her, and she was not inclined to be trusting of men after her experiences with them. Even more to your credit, you have convinced my husband. You have, or so you say, won the support of your family to the marriage. You have promised to encourage her music. These argue in your favour. We shall leave it there for the moment."

A genuine smile graced her face, warming her eyes. "Shall we go and reassure Emily that you are still in one piece?"

***

The first night after Maddox arrived back in Paris, Emily tossed and turned and eventually got out of bed and watched the seconds tick sluggishly by, planning what she would do in the morning. She had slept poorly while he was still in England, but knowing he was near at hand but not in bed with her left her restless and cross.

She attacked the problem head on over breakfast. "Maausi, Maausa, I am going to ask Maddox to stay with me here until the wedding. If you are not comfortable with that, please let me know, and I will arrange to go to him."

Maausa screwed up his lips in distaste, but Maausi simply said, "Are you having trouble sleeping, my dear?" She turned an amused look to her frowning husband. "Emily is a grown adult and knows her own mind, Rook. And, Alex, you do know your sister is with child, do you not? She is missing her betrothed, which is perfectly natural."

Maausa grumbled that it was a poor example for Sharada, but Maausi simply pointed out that the two cases were not the same. "Emily is no longer seventeen, my love. Emily, tell Maddox he will be welcome."

So Emily was in charity with her mother when she discovered that Maausi and Maddox's mother had decided to take over the organisation of the wedding. Separately, they were each a force to reckon with, but they had found common cause in ensuring that nothing happened to mar the union of their children.

"Don't you worry about a thing," Lady Chirbury told Emily. "Your mother and I have everything under control."

"All you have to do is enjoy this time with your family and mine before you and Emily are off on your travels," Maausi informed Maddox. "Lady Chirbury and I are here to take the organisation off your shoulders.

Emily assured Maddox that she was delighted to leave the two of them to their plotting and planning, while everyone else took in the sights of Paris. So each day, they sallied forth in a succession of carriages, with any of the family who cared to join them, exploring the gardens and walks, taking coffee in the cafes, visiting the Louvre, strolling down the Champs Elysses to enjoy the street theatre, even taking a barge ride on the Seine.

Emily had visited Paris a number of times, as part of the tour, her time taken up with rehearsals and performances. It was different sharing it with Maddox, viewing it anew through the eyes of their younger brothers and sisters. The days flew, and she spent the nights dreaming in Maddox's arms.

On the evening before the wedding, the two families met for dinner at the Maison Dorée, one of Paris's finest restaurants. It had been the mothers' idea, to save work for the servants of both households. Tomorrow, Lord and Lady Rookscombe were hosting the ceremony and the Dowager Lady Chirbury and her eldest son and his wife the celebratory breakfast to follow.