Chapter Eleven, Part 1

Julia tidied her cuffs waiting for Gills to meet her in the hotel restaurant. Her hand hovered over her purse, but she restrained herself. The money she needed was there and checking it in a public place would be stupid.

Right now, Gills was spending no less than three dollars a day on her upkeep, between the separate hotel room and meals in restaurants and private transportation around the city, even when she could stop him from buying whatever caught his fancy in a shop window. If she added in all the things he had purchased for her since the day of her rescue—three dresses, a coat, a hairbrush, and two sets of underclothes—she owed him at least fifty dollars, probably more, and increasing by the day. It was intolerable to be so beholden to a man who insisted on flirting.

Thanks to Miss Kilbrierry, she could put an end to it.

She would earn sixteen American dollars per month, which was certainly the high end of wages of a lady's maid.

Half of that would pay for the room she had found in the respectable boarding house, with breakfast and dinner included in the rent. The other half of her wages would be more than enough to pay transportation to and from work, because she could not expect Miss Kilbrierry to continue to send a carriage for her, and to supply a midday meal and incidentals, like soap and the occasional book or magazine to read.

She might even be able to add to her wardrobe, though she had Sally's blue dress, the green dress Lord Maddox insisted upon, and the brown and grey that made Gills turn up his nose, so she could present herself, clean and tidy, for work.

However, she would not receive any wages until she had finished her first two weeks at work. Meanwhile, the boarding house wanted a month's rent to move in, and all the other expenses would continue to mount until her first pay arrived.

She and Gills had argued about it. "If you don't want to stay here at the hotel, or move into Maddox's house with me, I'll find you an apartment," he insisted.

"I won't be your kept woman, Lord Joseph."

Gills had winked at her. "I could make it worth your while, my sweet."

Julia doubted that. Like all men, he seemed to think that the temptations of his body would overcome any doubts she might have. Perhaps some women thought so, but Julia wasn't one of them. In her experience, which admittedly was limited to Athol, the whole business was messy, uncomfortable, and embarrassing.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I am not interested?" she enquired.

Gills ran his finger across her hand in the way that made her shiver. "Oh, but I think you are. Marry me, Julia, and then I can protect you without any of these moral scruples."

Julia shook her head. Athol had trapped her that way; wooing her with pretty words and seductive touches after he had tricked her into being compromised by him. But once his ring was on her finger and her dowry in his pocket, he didn't bother with gentle touches. Something needy in her whispered that Gills would be different, but why should he?

Anyway, she didn't want to be protected. She wanted to be independent. She wanted to earn her own keep and pay for what she wanted.

Gills finally accepted that she wasn't going to let him set her up in a hotel somewhere. "If you won't let me support you, Julia, then I'll give you the money to pay your rent," he offered.

"You would still be supporting me," she pointed out. And it would be another month of being beholden to a man who wanted her in his bed. She just couldn't do it.

She adjusted her cuffs again. He would be here soon, and she could tell him what she had done, and give him the money to absolve the debt she had amassed during her flight from justice.

Lord Maddox had agreed to let her borrow the money she needed, and to accept five dollars a month in payment until she had paid him back. He had not even insisted on seeing the budget she had spent so much time preparing, though he had lectured her on the benefits of marrying Gills. He couldn't understand why she didn't seize the opportunity with both hands; even said that his friend was besotted with her.

Julia didn't believe it for a moment, though the idea was insidiously flattering. Gills was just sorry for her, though she thought he had at least begun to like her, a little. Maddox read too much into to Gills's attitude to her, probably because he barely tolerated her himself; he'd certainly never flirt with her. Gills, on the other hand, flirted as easily as he breathed, and Julia was not such a fool as to read more into it than that.

She stood when she saw Gills crossing the room and gave him a slight curtsy when he bowed. "Julia, you look lovely today. The green dress does suit you."

The compliment made Julia tense even more, and the dratted man noticed, saying, as he took his seat at her invitation. "Did you enjoy the concert and lecture? The write-up in the newspaper was excellent. I was quite proud to know Maddox and Miss Kilbrierry. I feel famous by association."

"I did enjoy it," Julia admitted. "I felt almost a part of it, given the work I did for Miss Kilbrierry."

"You should not have to..." Gills caught back the rest of his remark and changed the subject. "Miss Kilbrierry was magnificent. Maddox seems very taken with her."

Yes, Julia had noticed Lord Maddox's attraction to the violinist. Would he...? But that was for Miss Kilbrierry to manage, and no business of hers or Gills.

"I've ordered tea to be served on your arrival, Gills, so it should be here shortly."

"Thank you. I shall enjoy a cup." He met her gaze, his head tipped to one side. "But you summoned me here to a purpose, I am sure. Have you decided where you want to live?"

Julia took a deep breath. "Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. I am moving into the boarding house tomorrow."

Gills nodded. "I thought you might say that." He reached into his coat for his purse. "How much do you need for the rent? Will ten dollars cover it?"

Julia held up her hand. "No, thank you, Gills. I do not need your money. Indeed," she passed him the purse she had ready, "I wish to repay you all the money you have spent on me." She had a prepared speech. Now how did it go? "Mere money can never repay all that you have done for me. You came to my rescue when no-one else would. You nursed me when I was sick. You treated me kindly when all I did was snap at you like a cornered animal. I am truly, truly grateful, Gills."

Gills moved his hand away from the purse, frowning. "How on earth did you get that kind of money? What did you do to..." His eyes raked what he could of her body, making it clear what answer he expected.

Julia was about to lambast him when she recognised the hurt lurking in his eyes, and changed her answer. "It is not what you think."

Gills was shaking his head. "Julia, do you hate me so much that you'd go to someone else rather than..."

Julia opened her mouth to tell him about borrowing from Maddox, then shut it again. If he thought the worst of her, perhaps he would stop his ridiculous—and seductive—persecution. "Take it, please. I have included an accounting. If you disagree with my calculations, please let me know."

The waiter arrived with a tea service and some of the sandwiches that Gills enjoyed, but Julia stood. "Enjoy your tea, Gills. Thank you, again." She marched off, leaving him with the bill to pay and his mouth open. His shock and horror would no doubt last only until he and Maddox next spoke, but if he suffered a blow to his pride in the meanwhile, it was no more than he deserved.