Fall Before Winter

"Eat up"

The irony.

Who would've thought that an animal can sit on the dining table looking like a normal kid?

Chameleon.

No. Chameleons do wonders with changing their skin colors, copying hues but not as dangerous as the creature silently smiling, playing with the game put on his plate.

Hiding his hideous smirk, the creature fascinates itself with the memory of the old woman opening her door to see Owen coming out of the car.

"We're very sorry to disturb you this late again, Dahlia. I didn't know your Idris knew my Thalia...and you told me he's dead"

Winston chuckled awkwardly, fiddling his finger. Who wouldn't find this uncanny? A mother practically telling a stranger that their kid's dead.

"He is."

Dahlia sighed. Massaging her temples in hopes that the impending headache would stay impending.

"Ha!"

Winston forcibly laughs to avoid the awkward, creepy atmosphere.

"I-I think its better if we get going n-now-"

Before anything else, the little girl clutched around Owen's arms, shaking her head "no" whilst pouting her lips.

"But I wanna see Owen's room, daddy. Can we stay? Pleaseeeee."

Her big round eyes switched from her worried father and into the baffled woman.

Disturbed.

Dahlia never thought that there are more scary things the creature could do than feast on living's flesh.

A leech.

That's what it is and she fears that sooner or later, this cherub will meet the same end as her Idris if she won't stop it while she still can.

"Can we go upstairs, mother?"

For one moment, a split second, she saw her son and without realizing it, she gave a slight nod. The jumping of the tiny girl broke the trance of thought as she ran into the cabin.

"I am really sorry, Dahlia. My daughter's very persistent, when she wants something, she gets it."

"And if you don't stop her, she'll get what's coming."

Dahlia turned her back to the confused man, leaving the door open, a reluctant signal for the father to come in.

Now, Thalia and Owen sit facing each other with rabbit stew on their plates.

"I really like your room but it's dusty. Father said it's important to keep your bedroom clean and neat."

He chuckled, eyes on the creature in front of him.

"Ok... once my Thalia's done, we need t get going."

Winston dusted his pants off as he stood behind his child's chair.

"But daddy-"

"No buts, sweetie. we can't overstay our welcome."

Dahlia cleared her throat before speaking

"I agree with your father, child. It's best to be n your way while the night is still young, you may never know what danger lurks around these woods."

The father wanted to comfort his child but fear was also prominent on his face. Thalia clutches her father's hand and he gladly held her up.

"We will get going now. Thank you for helping me find my daughter, ma'am, and Idris," he turned to the boy standing just behind Dahlia, "if you want to come and pay with Thalia, you are welcome to do so but please,  try to not do it in the woods."

He nodded in reply. Winston smiled and waved goodbye.

"Good night, Owen!"

Thalia bid before the engine drowned her voice and the car fade from the sight.

"Since when..."

Dahlia asked. Not daring to turn and look at the boy still standing behind her.

"Months ago... the cage is pretty easy to unlock, you are losing your touch, Dahlia."

She knew then that the monster has been under her care for too long. He needed to be destroyed; now or never. 

"Pathetic. The smell of your fear is still as strong as the first time we met. Are the tortures not enough to at least have power over me? I guess I'll be tucking myself in the cage, hopefully, I'll do a better job."

First, she heard the slow footsteps of a human, slowly stepping away, but the steps get heavier... claws scrapped the floor as it drags away. She can hear it laughing and when she was sure it was out of the back door, her knees buckled.

She ran and locked her doors and windows. Dahlia headed to her basement where a safe room is. She entered her password and the vault opened The thick ironed walls welcomed her. Locking it behind her, she dashed into the phone dialing the only person who can up her out of this misery.

"Dahlia"

Hearing his voice, she broke down.

"Steve, take it. I can't contain it anymore! It's been a year since you said you'll take it!"

"Wh-what happened? Calm down, alright? We're planning its transfer now. The government just approved the facilities and about a week, it will be ut of your hai-"

"THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE INVOLVED!"

"What do you mean?! It killed someone?"

Dahlia sobbed. She wished it just killed someone but she can see past that and she fears the worst.

"No! I-it attached itself to someone."

"A host?"

"No! I-it- a CHILD! Steve! Take it, kill it now! We need to kill it now!"

"Dahlia, you know we can't! W-we need it, the government knew about it, we will be imprisoned if-"

"It will take her just like it took our Idris!"

There was silence on the line. Steve looked at the photo of the family he once has. 

" Dahlia, calm down. This monster will die painfully but we need to get something from it. In three days, I will head back there and deliver a new cage. I will be sending a letter to the secretary of defense to make the transportation process faster. In a week's time, that monster will be out of your care and will live its life wishing it has never existed. "

"No! No! Come now or never-"

"Dahlia, you know I can't-

*beep.... *beep.... *beep...

Dahlia screamed, clutching the phone into her chest. 

"Dahlia?! DAHLIA?!"

"It's here! It's here! IT KNOWS! IT KNOWS WE WILL TAKE IT AWAY FROM HER!"

"W-what do you mean? DAHLIA STAY ON THE LINE! I WILL BE SENDING-"

The piercing scream made his blood run cold. The call was cut off.

Steve ran to the door to order men and colleagues but the phone dropped on the floor rang once more. Slowly, he picked it up.

"Dahlia..?"

There was silence.

"Dahlia, are you there?"

"Steve..."

He sighed in relief.

"What the hell was that? You scared me!"

Steve didn't know whether to laugh or cry but one thing is for sure, it seems like his voice echoed back.

"Dahlia..? Are you alright?"

He threw up. He knew then. Dahlia wilthed.