9 ♔ The Duke of Norvillon

Early update coz I'm working tom (Sunday), I'll probably be too tired to edit by then. 😭 Have fun!

Despite being one of the most impoverished estate in the kingdom, the Alcotta Isles had the most beautiful view of the sky. In the capital where spirit stones light the roads, and the rich and corrupt illuminate their marbled mansions as if they were an endless number of stars, the island had relatively almost none at all.

Even the Alcotta manor used lamp fueled by fish oils and candles, and at night, the island is a huge mass of black, except lamps of fishermen trying their luck at night. In this darkness, one can fully appreciate the sky.

But Xander could not bring himself to do it. On the isolated beach of the island, he was busy staring off with his brother-in-law, who was not happy that he had to leave the North just to meet with him on a dark island.

Devanti Norvillon looked like he wanted to cut his head off, his icy blue eyes glinted brighter than the twin moons. This civilized animosity spread to their knights behind them, glaring at each other as well, even if they are far away from their masters, unable to listen to their conversation.

"So it's settled then," Devanti said, didn't even wish to hide the annoyance. "Anything else you need?"

Xander didn't even look at the contents of the envelope Devanti handed earlier. All the things he needed were inside. His brother-in-law, like him, was a man of precision, the only difference was that the duke had no knack for pleasantries, and animosity usually adorned his face. "Oh, will you still be willing to accommodate me if I ask so?"

"Only if you let me hit you once."

"I'd tell Kirien," he retorted.

"You can't tell her if you're dead."

Despite the answer, Xander slipped a close-lipped smile. His aide Ysivan would have gasped by the duke's defiance. But status does not apply to Devanti Norvillon of the North. He does not bend to any king nor even an aspiring one.

He may be a vassal of the royal family as a duke, but it was all in name only. Records say the Norvillons ruled the North even before the kingdom was established. After centuries of war, monarchs crowned and decrowned, the North, who had no qualms to whoever sits on the chair, has remained loyal to themselves. They became a part of the kingdom as protectors from the monsters of the enormous and long mountain range of the Black Sierra.

The ruling monarch in exchange would let the Norvillons rule as independently with only trade and tax responsibilities.

However, the current King, Augustus III coveted the North and all the magic stones from the beasts he could harvest. As some say, there was no more greedy king than the current monarch. Thus, he forged political remarriage for the duke a year after his first wife divorced him and died. The princess, Kirien, was then offered to the Devil of the North as a second duchess.

Devanti's face darkened. "What's so funny?"

Xander shook his head. They were only a few years apart, but Devanti already had two sons from his first wife, and now, a new daughter with Kirien. His reputation also surpassed that of a madman. Xander was frustrated that he was powerless to protect his sister from Devanti.

Yet now, the same man was giving him the power to protect Kirien from Xander himself and the rest of the royal family. "Nothing." He waved the envelope Devanti handed him earlier. It contained everything he needed to destroy the royal family. "Don't worry. I always pay what I owe."