7 ♔ Black Flags at Sea

Updating a day early coz I'll be busy tom, I'll be working back at the office next week (alternate WFH by week), gotta prepare.

But updates wont stop 2-3 a week. eventhough only few are reading. 🥰

Enjoy!

Ellena Odde ♥

Xander did agree to hide but refused to be in his cabin. He, six of his trusted knights, the captain Old Santos and the kitchen lady, cramped themselves into the pantry loaded with flour, dried fish, and strong spices. While the other crew of the ship found their own spots.

It may not be the best place for one's nose, but Xander appreciated the cover and the small circle for a window he can peep into.

"Don't worry, Yer' Highness, yeah?" Old Santos said, leaning on the other side while chewing dried meat he got from one of the hooks. "This happen's a lot when we sail."

"And you were never attacked by pirates?"

"Never did. Bless them black hearts. They owed my lady a favor, is why—" He could not finish. The kitchen lady who never introduced herself nor she was called by a name, smack the captain's head, and snatched the food away.

Through the peephole, Xander's eyes watched the massive wood, metal, and sail of the pirate ship approaching. "Favor?"

"They said a pirate washed offshore in Alcotta a long time ago and My Lady saved him, Yer' Highness. Built his strength and all, until he could leave for piracy." This time, it was the kitchen lady eating the meat. She offered pieces to the knights but was declined.

"That's my food y—"

"Shut up, y'fool. Gettin' drunk and lettin' my lady steer the wheel, you useless ol' man—" She halted, surprised by Xander's gentle request of "Please go on, my lady."

"Ey, Sinda, why you blushing, yeah?"

The kitchen lady, now named, smacked Old Santos. She fumbled her words for the first few sentences but then was able to tell the story well. According to her, pirates did not attack ships with the Alcotta Flag. Although no side has communicated face to face, the Alcottas were not as fearful of Black Flags as other parts of the kingdom.

"One time, my lady had no choice but to steer the wheel. You were sick that time, right, useless as you are?"

"Aye," Old Santos replied to Sinda.

"We encountered pirates, we raised our flag, but we still scared, because my lady is a beauty, a real beauty, I mean. Those women in capital with their peacock dresses don't hold a candle to her. She's a heart of gold. Of gold, I mean.

Those pirates sailed closer, closer than before. So close, I saw the mole on one pirate's neck, but they bowed. Bowed, I mean, to my lady—no hoots and whistle and disrespect. Just bowed, like honored her. Though we're still scared because they're pirates, after all.

Heard that pirate she saved was their captain or king of Black Flags. Young. And my, they say he was not what we thought pirates were. Not like a pirate at all."

"Shush, you old hag." Old Santos interrupted, scratching where Sinda smacked him earlier. "Those were rumors."

The rest of their banter faded to Xander's ears. The pirate ship was getting closer, and he was able to get a better look. The thing was massive, painted with mostly black. There were even window cannons and flag waved nothing but a black cloth, as dark as its sails. Although some pirates raise black flags, there was still something to identify.

Some pirate vessels paint their emblems on their ship, and some draw skulls on their sails. Yet, the ship who just passed them by had no identity at all. It was rustic but huge and ominous. A few men he was able to see as far as he goes, did look the part of bandanas, rugged clothes, and patches.

But they bowed, to someone on the deck, Xander assumed was Diana—the woman who dominated him earlier for safety.

He contemplated and searched the list of black-flagged ships he knew in his memory, but nothing comes to mind. For someone like him who knew the vessels, friend or foe, that sail in Gran Dacchian waters, the ship could not be identified. He made a mental note to investigate the matter and ask the right people.

They waited for a few minutes until finally, they all exited the suffocating smell of the pantry. He can even see the relief of his knights as they took deep breaths of the sea wind and color returned to their faces. They left Old Santos inside, who somewhere in between had fallen asleep, while Sinda tackled the kitchen.

Xander commanded his knights to stand down and return to their cabins if so they wish. Then, he climbed up the deck, and from behind, watched Diana steer the ship.

She claims to see the future and swore to put him on the throne. And now, pirates bow to her. He got along with her plans not because he trusted her that she could give him the throne. He can do that himself. The cog of his plans was already in motion, rooted in years earlier. She was more of an amusement, increasing his assurances and investigating if she was the queen's spy.

Yet now, Xander has had a serious thought. She surprised him in many ways. The slender back, her now loose bun falling lower to her neck and her small hands that wielded authority of the creaky old ship, Hudithe II. Xander smiled at himself.

She will be useful.

"How long will you watch, Your Highness?" she asked, eyes on the sea.

"How long will you show me such a cool scene, my lady?"

Diana didn't answer, locked the wheel to fix her loose hair momentarily. In silence, Xander watched her fingers comb her locks, conquer all the strands, twist and knot them into a bun. She was the only moving figure in the canvas of the sky, more of purple than orange.

"No wonder there were no reports of a pirate attack in Alcotta," he said after a moment of silence. "You keep a lot of things to yourself, my lady."

With the secured wheel with its direction, Diana finally faced him. "Do I?"

"You do. Back in the ball, you said you were fine, but if it weren't for the maids, I wouldn't have known. Your back, your elbows... it was a purple art, all bruised, and you never told me."

"I was fine. I'm still alive and it didn't matter."

Xander wondered how much does she value herself. Although she was great and a self volunteered pawn, what made her do so? "Do you have a lot of secrets, my lady?"

"Everyone has secrets, Your Highness."

"Tell me one of yours, and I'll tell you one of mine "

She stared at him as if studying deep into his soul. Xander let her so, like a challenge, if she will be able to find one. "I can tell you my deepest secret," he jested.

She smiled, yet a sad one. "You'd kill me if I knew."

"Then, you tell me your deepest secret first."

However, no matter how he tried to coax Diana, her answer rendered him speechless.

"It would be the same, Your Highness. You'd kill me still if you knew."

So, what's his secret?
What's her secret?
What pirate?

Any guess? 🤔