nineteen

( LEGENDS )

chapter nineteen』➖ no oats for the
                                       horses

The couple's first stop after leaving Dallas's Fortworth National Airport was Lauren and her 'roommates' apartment, roommate was a term used loosely since the girl barely lived there but still kept up on rent and stored belongings there

The couple's first stop after leaving Dallas's Fortworth National Airport was Lauren and her 'roommates' apartment, roommate was a term used loosely since the girl barely lived there but still kept up on rent and stored belongings there. Candace, said roommate, was happy to see her college friend again as the pair stopped by to say hello, it also allowed her to pack a few new clothes and other items considering a mandatory lockdown most likely wouldn't be ending anytime soon.

Drew was iffy about flying out to Dallas in the middle of a pandemic, he was the more rational of the two but masks and hand sanitizer were able to convince him otherwise. His second worry was he would get Lauren mother or father sick, it would be quite awkward if meeting the parents ended in them getting a deadly virus but her father had quite literally said, 'if I get, I get it. I'll know when it's my time to go,' which wasn't the most reassuring though.

So as Lauren drove down the dusty dirt drive way and through the arch that stood at the entrance at the farm with the surname Jackson in rusted metal bent sign, her hand gripped Drew's larger one as it rested on the center consul. The acreage stretched out along the empty roads, horses lined the fields with bowed heads as they ate the overgrown grass in the pasture.

"Should I be nervous?" He asked.

"Nervous?" Lauren laughed which made drew sigh in relief, "no, you should be fucking terrified."

"What?"

"It won't be that bad," she assured, "once you get past the shotgun and attempted murders it really slows down as he starts naming people he'd rather me bring home."

"Lass, you're not helping my nerves."

"It'll be fine," Lauren smiled at him and brought his hand up to kiss his knuckles, "my mama will be there, she'll only embarrass both me and you."

Drew looked out the windows at the horse in the fences in field. The truck drove by the medal machine shed and stopped in-front of the grey barn where her one of her parents where more than likely to be.

Lauren's boots hit the ground, drew couldn't understand how she was wearing jeans and a button down in this weather but to Lauren it wasn't even summer heat yet. The girl's face lit up as her favorite man walked out of the barn.

The father and daughter due exchanged their hellos with a tight hug, Drew saw the resemblance they were both in their boots and jeans with a button down on and he didn't know how they weren't dying of heat exhaustion.

Looking at the man in front of him he didn't feel scared anymore, he was barley 5'8 and his hair had gone grey so as he stuck his hand out for a good ole fashion country handshake as Lauren was introducing them, he took it.