Chapter 6

Divine

"He wants to meet his father Melissa. I don't know if I can bring myself to it.", I utter sighing afterwards. Melissa is the only one from the house who knows about my existence. We accidentally bumped into each other at a grocery store and I had begged her not to tell anyone and to keep it to herself. At first she was ready to blurt it out to Nefarious but when I told her what went down between us and that I gave birth to his son, she complied and she has been there for me ever since.

Right now I'm at work in my office going over stats and some research. I could barely concentrate as Tripp's request kept eating away in the back of my mind, that was until I called Melissa to ask for her opinion and advice.

"Oh wow Divine. How did he even come to ask you about Mr Blackwood?", she asks greatly concerned.

I groan out and put the pen that I was playing with down. "I don't know I guess he saw his friends at his basketball game and how their fathers were there, congratulating them. You should've seen the look on his face."

"I'm sorry but Tripp was bound to ask about his father sooner or later. He would've wanted to know about Mr Blackwood.", she responds.

She's right. Tripp would've wanted to know about Nefarious and he just had to find out sooner.

"So what do you suggest I do?"

"What does your heart tell you?", she answers with a question of her own.

I sigh. 

What does it tell me.

"Well...", I begin. "I really want Tripp to know his father and to have a relationship with him but a part of me scared.", I explain.

"Of what Divine?"

"Of Nefarious trying to kill me again or hurting Tripp!", I blurt out frustrated. I run a hand through my hair, awaiting for Melissa's responds.

"I'm sure it was a misunderstanding because as far as I know Mr Blackwood's heart only belongs to you. He hasn't been in any relationship since and if he were to know that you're alive...", she pauses. "He wouldn't do anything to hurt you. Not again and not purposely.", she finishes defending him.

"I hear you Melissa but disregarding the whole 'trying to kill me' thing another disadvantage to Tripp meeting Nefarious is that Nefarious might want him to take over the mafia one day."

"It is tradition."

"Well I don't my son selling drugs and being involved with human trafficking to be part of his tradition!", I whisper yell into the phone, not wanting any of my pryful colleagues listening into my family crisis.

"I understand but think about Mr Blackwood..."

"I don't have to think about that wicked man!", I exclaim cutting her off.

"I know and you don't have too but be logical about this. Boss deserves to know about his son just as much as Tripp needs to meet his father and the rest of his family even if it's just once.", she says trying to reason with me and I hate to admit but she's right. I can't be that selfish but if I do this then I'm doing this for my son.

I sigh out once again. "I guess your right."

"Trust me you'll be doing both your son and his father a great kindness."

"Yeah I guess you're right.", my attention is then pulled to the knocking of my door before Kevin walks in with a beige file in his hand. "I have to go now. Thanks for the advice."

"No problem Divine I'll always be here for you." I smile on the end and hang up without saying a word before facing Kevin.

He hands me the file with a greeting and tells me what it contains.