Chapter 2

Four years later

After the truth was revealed to me that night the house was tense. I received looks of hurt, disbelief and disappointment. Everyone had loved Divine, myself included and I still do even though she is not around. It's my fault though. I wish I could've given her the chance to speak back then but I silenced her. Forever.

My chest feels heavy every time I think about her, every time she crosses my mind. I still remember her melodic laughter, her angelic voice and her exotic beauty. A smile makes it way on my lips as I think about the way she would call me out on my shit, her embarrassing high school stories and the time we spent our days together.

I fucking miss her.

My life has been so jacked up since the day of her death. Things have been complicated, nothing ever ran smoothly like before. My relationship with Lee is now strictly business. I've bottled everything up not once opening to my siblings or Sheng. Simone decided to give me my space and doesn't pry or try to ask me about my feelings because he knows he'll not get anywhere.
As for Rea, she hates my guts, not like we were close to begin with but the looks she gives me whenever I'm around reminds me of what I've done to one of her best friends.

Upon being 29 years old I've managed to fuck up my life but not everything is so bad. I still have some light in my life, that being my two year old daughter. I love her to bits, with all my life. I can't say the same about her mother though, Ilyse. She's a wasted prostitute that's addicted to abusing substances. If it were up to me I would have taken Isla and left her mother back at her shitty apartment but I can't do that Isla.

It's currently 19:20 and I'm driving back home from my meeting that I attended. I grab my phone and dial the house number, hoping that Melissa, one of the help, to pick up.

She picks up but doesn't say a word, abiding to one of the house rules. Never speak first when recieving a call from the house phone. It's for security reasons. If no one speaks on the other end within five seconds then hang up.

"Melissa?", I say in my deep voice.

"Mr Blackwood, good evening.", she responds and listens while I address here.

"My daughter. How is she?", I ask not bothering to greet back.

"She is alright and I hope you don't mind but miss Ilyse had told me that it would be alright that I retire for the night. She insisted that I go back to the mansion.", Melissa explains.

I grip the steering wheel not liking what I'm hearing. Ilyse is a lunatic, a total wild card and party animal. That's not the type of woman I want around my daughter let alone to raise her, not that she does. She's an irresponsible mother who's always sticking something up her nose or down her throat. She's always out abusing substances and not looking after Ilsa while I'm taking care of business. That's why I personally instructed Melissa to look after Isla when I'm not around.

"Very well. Are they at my house?"

"Yes Mr Blackwood."

"Alright then. Tomorrow don't show.", I say hanging up without waiting for her responds. Tomorrow I have no work so I plan to spend my day off with my daughter.

I arrive at my house and I see a light on. I slam my car door shut and walk into the house. My initial plan was to go check on Isla but a burning smell captures my attention. It's coming from the kitchen.
I walk into the kitchen only to find whatever Ilyse was trying to 'cook' burning on the stove. I rush over quickly and turn the stove off and remove the pan from the stove plate that was on.

I sigh in disbelief and irritation.

That whore.

I run up the stairs calling out Ilyse's name, not recieving an answer. I walk into Isla's room first and find her on her bed cuddling her stuffed teddy bear.

"Hey pumpkin.", I greet softly going over to her and sitting beside her, trapping her in my warm embrace.

She looks up at me with her vibrant hazel green eyes. "Daddy I'm hungry.", she states with a pout at the end.

"Where's your mom?", I question wanting to know where that low life piece shit was. She almost burnt my house down, along with my daughter.

"I don't know.", she replies softly with a yawn escaping her small mouth.

Knowing Ilyse she's probably passed out somewhere, maybe the room I allowed her to occupy. I stroke my daughter's silky brown her and kiss the crown of her head.

"Okay you rest a bit and I'll be right back and I'll make you something to eat."

"But I'm sleepy."

I chuckle at my little princess. "You can't go to sleep without eating dinner."

She whines a bit, ready to protest. She can be a little bit stubborn sometimes. "Come on Isla. If you don't eat daddy's going to be very upset."

"Okay fine daddy...then will you buy me another toy?", she asks trying to bargain with me. I nod my head and she cheers loudly for a child who claims to be sleepy.

"I'll be right back, okay?", I say to her, standing by her door, just about ready to exit and close it. She nods her small head and closes her eyes sleeping for a bit.

I storm across the hallway determined to reach Ilyse's room.

Upon approaching her door I burst into the room.

This bitch.

I yank her by her hair. She groans just before I throw her onto the floor. She wakes up displaying her bloodshot red eyes.

Unbelievable.

"Why are you sleeping? You were fucking cooking downstairs and now you're up here sleeping.", I illustrate for her.

"I guess I had too much to drink.", she says giggling. I shake my head in disbelief. I don't know why I'm acting shocked, I mean what could I have expected from her. She's basically a walking corpse. She has no purpose to live.

"You could've burnt my fucking house down!", I roar pulling out my gun from its holster. "Now...", I start, pointing my pistol at her pathetic head.

"You wouldn't kill me.", she says confidently. If only she knew.

I chuckle out darkly, she clearly doesn't know what I'm capable of. I kill people without thinking twice. "I killed Angelique because she tried to seduce me while I was mourning the death of the love of my life. What makes you think I won't shoot you? A worthless piece of shit that makes a living from sleeping with multiple men."

She stays silent.

"The day you gave birth to Isla you had no use because I didn't even trust you to breastfeed her and now you're less than a mother than you've ever been before. You don't spend time with her, you don't look after and now not only did you send her to bed without dinner, you almost took her life had I not come back just in time.", I explain to her. I've seen that this woman would choose drugs and alcohol over her daughter. "I've given you more than three reasons as to why I would kill you and luckily for me the silencer is already attached to my gun. Saves me explaining the loud bang to my little princess."

"You're bluffing.", she says with a shaky tone.

I don't know if she's trying to convince me or if she's trying to convince herself but whatever the reason I'm done with her shit.

"Goodbye Ilyse.", I say before pulling the trigger.