v. familiar faces

familiar faces | the body

⌝⌑⌜

( i don't know if i want you to leave )

⌝⌑⌜

THE FUNERAL parlour was dull and near-silent, even the murmurings from the director spoken softly as if to not disturb the souls that would one day be laid to rest in the coffins and caskets and urns displayed throughout the humble store as he led Jonathan through the lower priced aisle.

He was quiet - nodding when he had to and trying to choke down his tears as the director discussed case sizes and comfort for 'the departed'. Jordan stayed close but kept his eyes averted for the most part, lingering behind so as not to get in the way, skin crawling the smaller the sizes of the caskets grew.

"Uh, now... I don't know what your budget is," the director began, already leading Jonathan to the other side of the room away from the softwood coffin before them, "but over here, we have copper and bronze."

Jordan moved to follow but faltered at the sight of a face he knew standing at the door of the parlour. It registered how he knew the face and he couldn't help but scowl, his patience thinning quickly, "Are you serious right now? You really think now is a good time?"

"I know, okay?" The girl he had come to know as Nancy Wheeler murmured, arms folded across her chest as her pale eyes found Jonathan, "But it's - it's kind of important."

"Well, I'm sure it can wait-"

"Jordan, it's fine." Jonathan sighed, scruffing a hand through his hair. For the first time, Jordan noticed just how exhausted his eyes were. "I kind of need a break from this, anyway."

"Yeah - yeah, 'course, Jonny." Jordan softened. But only for a moment - his glare twice as sharp when he turned back to the girl stood at the door, "I'll be right here - I don't wanna hear you starting nothin', save that talk for another time."

Nancy blinked, nodding briskly before turning and walking away, Jonathan reluctantly shuffling after her.

The director had wandered back over to the podium he had been stood at when they walked in, flipping through a bunch of papers on the desk. Jordan suddenly felt very, very alone.

It was a cold room, he noticed for the first time, the kind that trapped you in. He cleared his throat as the sudden expanse of the four walls threatened to slide towards each other and swallow him whole, the empty caskets surrounding him causing the slightest elevation in his breath.