i. beginnings

beginnings | madmax

⌝⌑⌜

( forgive me, if watchin' you almost get eaten by a monster from another fuckin' world made be a bit fuckin' protective )

⌝⌑⌜

"SHIT, SHIT, shit-"

Jordan rushed around the house, a lit cigarette dangling from his lips as he pulled on his shoes and hopped into the Byers' kitchen, sweeping his fring from his eyes.

"Has anyone seen my keys?!"

Jonathan rolled his eyes, pulling on his jacket and taking his own keys from the dining table, already heading out the door to go work his late shift at Grundy's. "They're in your hand, dumbass."

"Oh. Thanks." He shot the boy an impish grin, running his hand through the rat's nest on top of his head again to try and neaten it to no avail. He finally managed to pull the back of his sneaker over his heel and ducked his head down the hallway that led to the bedrooms. "Will, we're gonna be late, bud!"

"Coming!"

Joyce appeared from the young boy's room then, fussing over him relentlessly as Will trudged down the hall and did his best to smile through his annoyance.

"Mom, I'm fine - it's just the arcade, I'm not going to Buckingham Palace."

"Watch your tone, shithead." Jordan caught Will in a headlock, ruffling the boy's soft locks playfully. "That's your mom you're talkin' to."

"Sorry, Mom." Will smiled up at his mother sheepishly as Joyce gave a tired roll of her eyes and slapped Jordan's shoulder lightly, instructing him to let Will go.

Jordan obliged, plucking the cigarette from his mouth and stubbing it out in a nearby ashtray. Joyce didn't have a problem with him smoking in the house, considering she was a smoker herself and that he didn't smoke weed as much anymore and had taken to cigarettes to try and cut himself off from all illicit substances, but he didn't like doing it in front of her.

It felt disrespectful, as ridiculous as that sounded.

"He'll be fine, Ms. B. I'll be with him the whole time."

Joyce sighed, muttering under her breath about how he had been living with her for a year now and still refused to call her Joyce, and something about how that was supposed to comfort her.