ix. discoveries

discoveries | the monster

⌝⌑⌜

⌝⌑⌜

( i can't sit here and do nothing while that thing has them )

⌝⌑⌜

JONATHAN BYERS was screaming.

It was a mournful sound, a desperate and broken one, the kind one usually made when they were bloodying the sides of their fists and their palms against the rough bark of a tree.

"JORDAN!" He roared, jerking away from Nancy everytime she she tried to pull him back, tears of frustration filling his eyes with every strike, "JORDAN, NO!"

It took some effort but Nancy did eventually managed to embrace his arm and urge him away from the battered tree, "Jonathan, stop! It's closed, it's closed! We can - we can look for another one, just - Jonathan, stop it!

"I have to go after him-" Jonathan insisted, turning to her with glossy eyes, his chest heaving unsteadily, "I have to."

"I'm sorry." Nancy deflated, holding back tears of her own. She was still shaking, covered in filth and sludge, cradling herself gingerly, "He's... he's not dumb, he'll probably... find somewhere safe to hide and - and as soon as we find another tunnel, we can-"

Jonathan just shook his head slowly, storming past her and grabbing the wooden plank Jordan had left behind, taking a second to adjust the weight of it in his hands and ignoring her quiet asking of his name as he held it to the side and slammed it against the bloodied bark of the tree over and over again, screaming in frustration when the wood splintered in his hands.

"Jonathan!" Nancy called helplessly, watching him lift the broken halves and break each of them off the trunk of the unyielding tree, "Jonathan, he's gone!"

Those words are the ones to stop him, to make the splinters of wood drop uselessly to the ground as he let out a single shuddering breath before crowding in on himself, collapsing down next to where the gateway had been and burying his head in his knees as he cried, just now noticing the stinging in his split knuckles.

Nancy fell beside him, slowing bringing her arms around his trembling shoulders, tears falling slowly from her eyes.

"He's gone."

⌝⌑⌜

Jordan pressed himself tightly against the outer wall of the cabin, doing his best to silence his breathing as the monster lurked behind the other side of the house, trying to sniff him out.