Chapter Ten: Heavenly Host

ابدأ من البداية

   "You have plants," I say shocked

   Walker laughs, "Yes, darling, I have plants."
   "Guess I wasn't expecting that."
   "Why ever not? I need plants all sorts of greenery for my potions, darling.  It only makes sense that I grow them."
   I look around the kitchen, which, although, is dark, is truly less creepy than I thought it would be.  The plants definitely help.  "Yes, but you have actual plants for like, uh, decorative purposes."
   "Not really," Walker says.
   I laugh and point to the large leafy potted plant on top of one of the shelves.  "So, you're telling me that that plant up there...you have it merely to dissect it, take it apart, or eat it eventually?"
   Walker clears his throat, "Well, perhaps I do have one or two non-essential plants."
   "No need to be embarrassed Walker, I think it's cute.  I mean, I have plants too."
   "Cute?" And he nearly chokes.  "I'm not cute, Annora."
   "I didn't say you're cute.  I said the fact that you like plants and take care of them, is cute."  I gesture around.  "Don't worry your reputation is secure, the rest of this kitchen looks like it belongs in Bellevue at the turn of the century.  So yes, it fits in perfectly with the rest of your house and interior design."
   Walker smiles brilliantly.  "Well, thank you darling.  What a lovely thing to say."
   I roll my eyes.  "You were saying something about breakfast?"
   "Of course, of course.  How remiss of me.  You need to eat, darling girl.  Do you think the boy, I mean, Goodson would like some breakfast too?"
   "I'm sure he'd appreciate something...as long as it's recognizable and uh, edible."
   "Sweetheart, I'm not going to poison your weak stomached partner."
   "Oh well, thanks for that," I say dryly.  I take a seat on a long wooden bench, place my elbows on the table and rest my chin in my hands why I watch Walker fuss and bustle about the kitchen.  He is kinda cute like this.  All domestic like, surrounded by house plants and—
NO! OH NO! No way was I going there.  There was no way I was going to start to think of Walker in that way, in any way other than my very annoying new temporary partner.  That way lay dragons.  And I definitely didn't need dragons on top of all the shit that was heaped up on me right now.
   "Hey Ann...Annora," Garrett strides into the kitchen looking pressed and perfect.  How the heck does he do it?  I mean, even wearing the same clothes from yesterday, he still looks perfect.  It had to be some weird superpower only available to good humans.  "Whatcha guys doing?"
   "Well, I'm watching Walker prepare us breakfast." I give Garrett a pointed look.  "Isn't that kind of him, Garrett?  Isn't it nice that he's making breakfast for us?"
   "Oh, uh, yeah, sure, nice...I mean...I could've gotten some pastries and bagels from Shelton's...you didn't have to go to all of this trouble," Garrett say to Walker, who has already begun to expertly crack eggs.
   "Pastries and bagels...God, what do you take me for, Goodson?  What sort of host would I be if I didn't offer you breakfast?  And Annora darling needs sustenance, lots of it...pastries and bagels won't do it for her, they're filled with undesirable elements.  She needs real food."
Please Garrett don't say anything.  Yeah, it was sort of a dig at him, but please, please just stay quiet...and sane.  I'm pleased as punch when it appears that my prayers are answered because Garrett says nothing, just comes to sit next to me on the bench.
   "It smells wonderful, Walker.  What are you making us?" See, I could be polite.
"Eggs in a blanket, corned beef hash, hashed browns, bacon and sausage."
Oh my gosh. Heaven has a name, and it's called the food Walker's preparing. "You doing all of that for us?"
"Well...more so for some than others...but yes. It's like I told you, you need sustenance dearheart, and nothing filled with useless fats, sugars, or processed shit. And it's not like I didn't have the ingredients on hand, or couldn't conjure them if I needed to, however I did refrain from transmuting any breakfast foods dearheart, for...your Goodson's sake. Somehow I didn't think he'd appreciate the gesture as much as you would."
"Transmuting?" Garrett asks clearly confused.
"Uhm..." I begin but Walker cuts me off.
"—Taking one thing and turning it into something else. In your breakfasts case, I could've taken one of the skulls out of my parlor and turned it into a couple of dozen eggs if I so desired. But, as I said...I didn't think you'd be quite so open to that idea. Plus, mother just delivered me some fresh eggs from her stock a few days ago, sooooo no need for skulls." Walker finishes gaily.
I turn to look at Garrett and he has a pinched look on his face. He really was going to have to get over it. Because if he didn't, well...this would be the longest feeling, or shortest lasting three way partnership in the history of partnerships.
   "Uh, well...uhmmm...I appreciate you uh, thinking about me, man," Garrett finally says, and I grace him a large smile.  Way to go and be nice and polite Garrett.
   Wait? Eggs from Leanore's stock?  "Walker are these Leanore's eggs?"
   "Why my dear, didn't I just say that."
   "No, I mean, are they Leanore's eggs..." Like her magical eggs laid by her magical hens.  Jesus, the last thing I needed was to sprout a beak and feathers from consuming one of Walker's mother's magical eggs.
   Walker laughs and continues cooking, barely sparing me a glance.  "Oh darling are you worried I'm going to magic hocus-pocus you with one of mother's eggs?" He expertly begins to plate and then he tosses me a look from over his shoulder, one filled with mirth.  "No worries on that front, dearheart.  Just as I knew Goodson here wouldn't appreciate skulled eggs, I knew neither of you would really appreciate any possible side effects from mothers oh-so-special eggs.  These are plain ol' boring eggs, from plain ol' boring hens that she keeps along with the, uhmmm, the special ones."
   Oh thank goodness.  I'm nearly salivating as Walker places mounds of food on the table in front of us.  Everything looks insanely delicious.  He hadn't been lying when he said he could cook, this stuff looked straight out of the foodnetwork or some gourmet cuisine magazine.  I've placed a bit of everything on my plate and am already shoveling food into my mouth when I feel the house begin to shake, as in truly earthquake like shake.  I grab the table and turn startled eyes to both Walker and Garrett who seem equally shocked and surprised.
   "Earthquake?" Garrett says, having already stood up shakily.
   "That was no earthquake," Walker says, eyes narrowed and mouth thin.  And then we hear it, the bells, the truly nearly obnoxiously loud ringing like symphony of bells.  "Oh the hell no, fuck, just fuck NO! Walker growls and strides quickly from the kitchen.  Garrett and I share a look (the, what could possibly have riled up Walker that bad, look) before hurrying after him.  When we reach the front of the house, we're truly shocked stupid by the sight that meets our eyes.  There, standing right there, in the middle of Walker's foyer is an angel.
   "OH MY GOD!" I burst out.
   The angel turns to look at me, a beatific smile on his truly stunning face and inclines his head before saying, "Not quite, L'amour de la mort...but...close enough...close enough."