How to Say "I Love You" | Evan Stafford

Start from the beginning

~

"Godammit! Nothin' but peanut butter again." Evan grumbled. "I'm gonna get my hands on some animal and cook it if we don't get anything different soon."

You snickered. "What's wrong with peanut butter?"

"You'd hate it if you had to eat it every day."

"Well, I do have to eat it every day, if you haven't noticed." You rifled through your bag for something else. "But, I did have something else."

You pulled out a Hershey bar, grinning when Evan's eyes lit up with glee.

"How'd you keep it from melting?"

"I have my ways." you grinned mischievously. "Here, I'll trade ya for the peanut butter shit."

"You sure? I mean if that's your only one..."

"Nah, I got a couple more hidden. Come on, just take it."

Evan hesitated a moment, then tossed the peanut butter product to you. You caught it and tossed the chocolate to him.

"Thanks."

"Yep."

~

Evan was sleeping on the couch when you got home. He probably fell asleep waiting for you; the TV was still quietly playing and there was a dirty plate on the coffee table.

"Oh, Evan." you hummed, pulling a blanket from the closet and bringing it back to the couch.

You draped it across him and pressed a kiss to his forehead. "Sweet dreams, baby."

Picking up the dirty plate, you made your way to the kitchen and washed the plate, sticking it in the dishwasher to dry.

"You're home."

You whirled around to see an Evan wrapped in a blanket, grinning sleepily at you.

"You're awake." You moved to hug him as he opened his arms.

He wrapped his blanket-clad arms around you and pressed a kiss to the top of your head.

"You didn't have to wait for me, y'know."

"I can't sleep without you though."

You laughed. "Alright then, let's get to bed."

~

"Evan, I know you're in there!" you called, hitting the side of the truck.

Silence.

"Come on, Evan, you're in a fucking truck. The only thing between us is canvas."

You heard rustling on the other side of the cover, then the flap was thrown open.

"Yeah?" he said as he jumped down from the truck.

"Look, I know I probably shouldn't have done that hero thing, but I couldn't just let someone die. It's not what we do." You searched Evan's face for any sign of emotion, but you were met with a blank gaze.

"Evan, I'm sorry--"

You stopped when Evan pulled you in for a hug. He sniffled, gripping you like a lifeline. You rubbed his back consolingly, whispering, "It's okay. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

"I almost lost you again."

"I know. But I'm here now. You won't lose me."

"I don't know what I'd do if you died. You were so close--"

"I know. I know. But I'm not going anywhere, okay? I'm staying here with you. I'm with you till the end of the line."

~

Evan watched as you nibbled on cookies while you flipped through the pages of your book. He always liked it when you were focused on a task. You looked adorable to say the least. He guessed it stemmed from when you asked him to hold your book while a couple of other Marines needed someone to knock some sense into them.

Evan chuckled at the memory, picking up one of the fake flowers you kept in a vase on the coffee table. He threw it at you, and it landed right in front of you. You didn't flinch.

He picked another one and tossed it again. It landed on your book this time. Nothing.

Third time's the charm.

The last flower he tossed did the trick. It hit you square in your face. You shut your book and looked up at him.

"What?"

Evan grinned.

"I love you."