Dance With Me | George Luz

requested by OliviaD22. thanks for being patient while i wrote this :) side note, requests are closed until February 23 for academic-related reasons.

george cheers up the reader. and it may or may not involve a radio. implied female reader, though they can be read as male as well.

~~~

George didn't like seeing you so despondent. He couldn't believe that the same person that had laughed with him in Toccoa, Mackall, and on that troopship, was the same person that was now sitting with Doc and looking worse for wear. He let out a worried sigh and made his way to those icy steps you sat on.

"Hiya, Doc." George patted Gene's shoulder. "I got it from here." The medic nodded and gave you one last hug and bar of chocolate before heading off.

George sat down in Gene's place, wrapping a comforting arm around your shoulders. He didn't say anything that prompted a response, which you appreciated. You didn't feel like talking.

George filled the silence with idle chatter, with the occasional rhetorical question asking about how you felt thrown in. You only nodded absentmindedly, and he always responded with a grin and an "Alright."

You felt horrible, really. You wished you could say something to him. But what was there to say?

George didn't know how long he had been talking, but he frowned as your silence stretched on. He studied you for a moment, then suddenly snapped his fingers and hopped off the steps, hurrying off to the Battalion CP. You watched him, slightly confused, but then shrugged it off as typical George behavior. He came running back with a grin on his face a few moments later and breathlessly grabbed your hands.

"I'm gonna go grab something, okay? I'll be right back."

You frowned but nodded, and off George went again. He reappeared several minutes later, hands tucked into his pockets and radio strapped to his back.

He set his radio down on the top step, then reached into his pockets and brandished more chocolate.

"You can never have too much chocolate, right?" he asked.

You only shook your head in reply, but he saw the small smile that had appeared on your face. He set the chocolate bars down by you and fiddled with his radio controls, the many channels buffering and sounding of static before he reached a channel with decent music. It wasn't in English, but the melody was slow and relaxing. 

"Aha!" George exclaimed with a triumphant grin. "It's no Glenn Miller or Vera Lynn, but..."

"It's alright, George. Music is music. Who says we can't enjoy a little German music for now?" you reassured him.

He nodded and held out a hand. "Would you do me the honor of dancing with me?"

He hoped you would say yes. You met his gaze, looking like you'd decline. You looked down at his hand, and then back up at his eyes, and he almost brushed off his proposal to dance before you stopped him.

"Why, of course." you finally said, smiling up at him.

George dramatically bowed, and offered his hand again to help you down the steps and into the street. He threw all caution to the wind; you were in need of cheering up and he would do anything to make you happy.

The two of you danced and twirled around in the street, ignoring everything else around you. You were in your own world now: just you, George, and the music playing in the background.

George's heart sang when he saw the beginnings of a smile on your face. It had been such a long time since he had seen you really smile. Not those forced smiles to let others know you were fine, a genuine, happy beam that made George smile in turn.

He twirled you around and you let out a laugh that echoed in the empty street. Step after step, swaying and spinning; it was like there wasn't even a war on. You were just two people dancing. It didn't matter if you were wearing your ODs and scuffed-up boots instead of your dress greens or a nice, spiffy outfit. Here, under the war-torn sky, George thought you looked just as perfect as the day he met you, dirt-smeared face and all. 

As the sky faded into black, the dancing and twirling faded into gentle swaying. You leaned into George, one hand over his heart. He kept you close, quietly humming along to the song playing.

"Thank you, Georgie." you whispered.

George pressed a kiss to your cheek. "Anything for you, sweetheart."