"Don't say that." You smiled. He started the car up again, only to move a meter or so forward. "Oh man, at this rate, we'll never get there by nighttime and then I'll have to drive all day," he said with a frown.

"Then we won't have to do your stupid campout thing." He rolled his eyes. "It's okay-- if we don't make it out by like midnight, I'll drive for a bit and you can nap." He smiled.

"I think we'll make it out by then, but thank you." He drove a bit forward. "So what should we do while we wait?"

"Play music and vibe," you sighed, sitting up straight, crumpling up the empty bag of popcorn. You checked the time. It was nine. You were supposed to stop in an hour to sleep. It really didn't look like that was happening. You yawned as you checked your phone.

"Hey, you can sleep, if you want," he said, squeezing your knee. You laughed, it having tickled. You pulled your legs up onto the seat. "I'll wake you up when we stop-- if we stop."

"You sure?" He nodded. "If we don't, wake me up when you want to switch," you whispered. He nodded.

"I will." You raised an eyebrow. "I will; I'd love to be a gentleman and let you sleep but I also don't want to drive half asleep and put us in danger." You smiled.

"Thank you."

---

"Y/N," he whispered. "Y/N."

"Hm?" You blinked, eyes opening. You sat up straight and he smiled. "We're here?" you asked, groggy.

"It's two-- we're stopping for the night," he whispered, helping you sit up straight. You rubbed the sleep out of your eyes. You looked around. "Don't worry, we can park here, I made sure."

"Okay." You got out of the car and smiled to see his little campsite set up. "Awh, Gray."

"It's perfect!" he squeaked. You smiled patting his shoulder. He even had a fire going. You sat by it. "You like?"

"Looks like--" you paused to look at the tent. "Oh no," you whispered, looking at the tent. "My sleeping bag."

"We forgot-- you can sleep in the car or my bag, whichever you want."

"But--" he cut you off.

"I don't mind, it's not too cold so pick whichever--"

"Why can't we share the sleeping bag?" you asked with a shrug. "Didn't you bring those vegan marshmallows? Please tell me you did," you said standing to check.

You headed to the car and he turned. "Share the sleeping bag?" he asked.

"If you want-- we shared in, like, the sixth grade on that trip, remember?" You smiled, pulling out the marshmallows. "If you don't want to, I can sleep in the car, since you love the whole outdoo-"

"No we can share," he said quickly. He smiled. "Yeah, okay."

"Perfect." You took a seat, cross-legged in front of the fire he had going. He sat across from you, on the other side of the fire. He handed you a stick and you opened the bag to roast marshmallows.

"What a healthy dinner," he said with a chuckle. You laughed. You roasted marshmallows, eating in silence. You ran a hand through your hair and smiled at him.

"What?"

"You look like you're in a good mood," he whispered. You shrugged.

"Well, it's almost three in the morning and we're in the middle of nowhere, so." He smiled. "I feel good."

"That's great." You shrugged. "How's-- how's getting over Ethan going?" You shrugged again. "Okay we don't have to tal-"

"It's fine," you sighed. "It's going okay, I'm starting to accept that he's not, you know, mine."

"Yeah." You smiled and shrugged. He yawned.

"You sleepy?" you asked. He shook his head. "Oh shut up, you've been driving forever, and if you're driving in the morning, you need sleep."

"Well." He reached for the bag of marshmallows and frowned. He chuckled and held it up. "Y/N, you let the fire melt them all and the bag." You laughed and stood, brushing your pants off.

He put the fire out, to stop the risk of it spreading and used his phone flashlight to light up the place. You stepped into the tent and you plugged your phone into the portable charger you'd brought.

"Are you sure you don't want to sleep in the car? We can leave it on to keep the heat running for you-"

"That's a waste of the battery, Gray," you said with a smile. "We can share if it's okay with you." He nodded.

"I just don't want you to be cold." You shrugged and stared at the single sleeping bag you had. "Well, I'll uh, get in first," he mumbled. He crawled in, pulling it up. You kicked off your shoes and slipped in next to him.

Pressed against his chest, you pulled the zipper up, locking you in. You smiled up at him. "See, this is warm." He smiled.

"Guess so." You sighed head on his shoulder. He pulled his knees up and rested an arm behind his head. "Well."

"Good night then, Gray."

"Night, y/n." You smiled, nestling closer to him.

He was quick to doze off, tired from driving for so long and setting up the site. You, however, couldn't sleep, due to your nap from earlier. You sighed, unable to get up now, seeing as his arm was lodged around you, keeping you from moving.

You stared up at the tent, sighing. You weren't going to cry tonight. This would be the first night in weeks now that you wouldn't cry yourself to sleep. Gray mumbled something in his sleep and you ran a hand through his hair. He shut up, leaning into your touch. You smiled.

You were so lucky to still have him, after everything with Ethan.

You and Ethan couldn't be left in the same room alone, anymore. You remembered how before, you'd die for moments like that. Like any second you could get him alone was an opportunity for something, anything, to happen.

But now it was the exact opposite. You wanted nothing to do with thoughts of him. They were all wrong. He was taken now. Forever- he wasn't yours. He never would be. You shut your eyes tight and clenched your fists, accidentally tugging on Gray's hair. He groaned, loosening his grip on you.

"What happ-n?" he asked.

"Nothing, nothing, sleep," you whispered. He hummed and rolled over on top of you and you gasped, his arms locking around your waist, face in your neck. You felt yourself go red as you wrapped your arm around his neck.

You dismissed it. He said you were waiting. Waiting for a few years to see if-- if anything could happen. You shuddered a bit. You and Gray? No, you wouldn't ruin the relationship you had with him too.

He was half asleep-- he was completely asleep, in fact. You smiled, shaking your head, eyes fluttering shut. He was only your best friend.

And that's all he'd ever be.