But suddenly both of them heard a noise behind them, and Catherine's head shot up from her map, as both her and WInters looked towards the source. Catherine heard new footsteps behind her, as Winters told the person to 'Duck'. She could see Gene coming toward them, stumbling a bit through the stone, his footsteps light against the packed in ice. 

Gene stopped quickly and kneeled down eyes training towards where the trio now all looked. Catherine glanced back at Winters who slowly moved the tin of icy water from his lap and grabbed his weapon, giving a quick hand signal for Gene to come forward. Gene slowly stood as Catherine moved to her feet and followed after Winters, Gene by her side. The trio slowly moved, crouched walking forward, looking through the fogging morning towards the sound. Catherine's eyes strained to look at the source. They stopped suddenly and Winters brought up his rifle to point towards the person through the fog. Catherine glanced at Gene who looked at her. She read him with her eyes, and he seemed to do the same. 

Being injured and having him drag her half way across Normandy had instilled some trust bonds between the Lieutenant and the medic. It was mutual. The two looked back towards where Winters held his rifle, pointed.

" Kommen sie hier." Winters said. The person in front of them seemed to be using the bathroom.

" Kommen sie hier, schnell!" Winters said firmer this time. The person in the fog slowly stood up.

" Schnell!" Winters called forcefully this time. The person shuffled forward, slowly raising his arms up as he appeared through the fog. Catherine's eyes widened. 

It was a German, looking utterly lost and confused. 

Two soldiers put a weapon on him and Winters searched him as Gene and Catherine silently stood side by side, glancing towards the German soldier every so often. The soldier looked towards them, as Winters searched him, with seemingly pleading, hopeful eyes that they'd do something. Winters pulled out a wallet it seemed and pulled out a black and white photo of a couple. His parents. The soldier looked at him. Winters then closed it up and put it back in his pocket. There was still humanity in the war and family. Family was everything right now. The soldier glanced towards Catherine and Gene again as Gene seemingly clenched his jaw looking right back at the soldier. Winters pulled something else from the soldiers pocket.

" Doc, bandage." Winters said before tossing it to Gene. Gene caught it and glanced down at the bandage.

" Take him back to Regiment." Winters said, at the same time that a truck pulled up. The soldiers moved away with the German prisoner as both Catherine and Gene looked to each other before looking towards the truck which held General McAuliffe and Colonel Sink. Strayer slowly wandered up.

" As you all know, General McAuliffe." Sink said, " Acting Division commander."

" Give it to me straight." McAuliffe said as he looked to Strayer.

" We've been taking ground in one position, General, losing it in another. And now it looks like a stand-off, we're digging in on the edge of the forest." Strayer said nodding to Winters.

" We're under sporadic artillery fire, General. We're taking a lot of hits and we have no aid station," Winters said and Catherine glanced at Gene biting her lip, he glanced at her, " We've run out of food, we have no winter clothes, and we have little or not ammo. The line's spread so thin, the enemy wanders into our CP to use our slit trenches, sir. We just can't cover the line." Suddenly Nixon appeared, flipping open the tarp on his foxhole cover, looking more dead than alive, as he crawled out. Catherine sent him a raised brow.

" Good morning, Captain Nixon." Sink said as Nixon looked up towards him, out of it completely. His eyes widened seeing the General.

" You got anything to add for General McAuliffe?" Sink asked him.