CHAPTER TWO

The journey from Offa where Moremi was from, to Ile Ife was smooth and peaceful eventhough the heart of Moremi was in turmoil. She was scared, alone except for the her maids, she was not familiar with any other person.

Her father sent some of his guards to escort her to the Great Ooni's palace.

She was not disturbed just only when her food is to be delivered. She has not seen her husband, obviously he was not here.

Elders of the kingdom were sent to receive her from her home. She guessed she should be happy after all offa is but a town in the Great Land of Ife. Her parents too will be on their way over but she was to be sent there first as tradition demands.

She sighed trying to calm her erratic heart, this is the second time she is leaving the province of her home town. The first time was when she was about 12 and they were summoned by the Great Ooni and she pleaded with her mother to tag along. Her memories of Ife were not that clear after all she spent just two days and was never allowed to roam as freely as she wanted.

The Great land of Ife was founded by Ooni Oduduwa and she is getting married to his heir apparent to the throne.
She will miss her homeland but this is her fate now
destined to be the next Olori of the great land of Ife
Not too bad of a fate right? she smiled.
Akande... she sighed after all we were never meant to be. She saw him last when her wedding date was announced, the shock and resignation on his face.
      He could not even put up a fight
Who is he?? She thought, just a small fry compared to the great Lion.
Her mother had told her as a baby the ifa priest had said that her journey was still far ahead and that she will become someone great. It was customary for her people to seek the divination of their children to know what Olodumare has designated for them.

Maybe this was the beginning of her journey.
As for what lay ahead she will discover them by the will of Olodumare.
The carriage halted and was dropped, she could hear the whispers, the excitement.

definitely a crowd has gathered.

Maybe all of the people of the great land.

she could hear the beating of drums.

My princess its time ' her maid whispered.

A sharp and clear voice pierced the air, the person was singing her oriki ( eulogy/praise poetry) . It was a beautiful voice she must say , then suddenly it became silent as a horn was blasted signifying the presence of the Royal family, she came out with a veil concealing her face the crowd all protrasted as custom and sign of respect.

The voice started sing praises of the king.
Moremi  was kneeling and her head bowed in respect as this was the first time she was face to face with the Ooni.

His horse tail touched her shoulders signifying that she could rise

Rise up my child
his deep baritone voice said.

Her jaw almost hit the floor when she saw him. If she thinks her father was majestic he pales before this man wow!!! no wonder he was called the mouthpiece of the gods and a diety himself. His royal apparel was majestic, the aura he exudes was like that of a god, yes a white majestic being she blinked nervously when she saw he was regarding her with interest.

Your name my child?? He asked as he gestured for her to come closer to him. She raised her head elegantly as she replied

 " Princess Moremi of the house of the Lukugba your royal highness' she curtsied respectfully.

She knows even if she is a princess she can not afford to annoy the Ooni. One word from him her family will be destroyed after all they are all under his rule.