chapter eight

You laid on your bed like a dead corpse, as sleep deprivation was punching you in the face at the moment. But that sweet moment of rest was interrupted by your phone ringing. You jumped up, yawning and picking it up.

"Hello?" You asked, rubbing your eyes.

"Y/N, it's Michael. I was wondering if you were free?..Like right now? My dad's being a bit of a pain right now.." He said, sounding sad. You sat up.

"O-Of course! Come over as soon as you'd like." You said, slightly concerned.

"Thank you, Y/N. I'll see you in a few." He said, hanging up. You got up and brushed your hair and teeth, just so you don't look like a complete zombie when he gets over here. A few minutes later, you heard your doorbell ring, seeing Michael. He smiled.

"Hey, Michael." You said, smiling and looking up at him.

"Hi, Y/N. Sorry for such short notice, I-I hope you understand where I'm coming from.." He said, sighing. You put your hand on his arm.

"Of course I do, Michael. Stay as long as you need to." You said, smiling. He laughed.

"Well, if that were the case I'd just stay here forever. But of course, my dad would not like that." He said. You looked at him concerned.

"I'm sorry, Mike. Do you want anything to eat?" You said, gesturing to the kitchen. He shrugged.

"I guess water would be nice." He said, walking over to sit at the table. You got him a glass of water, handing it to him and sitting across from him.

"Are you alright? What happened, if you don't mind me asking?" You said. He sighed, looking down.

"Just my dad blaming me for my brother and sister's death again. He's starting to convince me that I really was the cause of our family falling apart." He said, tearing up, his voice cracking slightly. You put your hand on top of his.

"I promise you, Michael, that you are not. He's just having a hard time coping with it." You said.

"Y/N, you don't get it. If I were watching over my sister the day she died, things would be different. And if I hadn't been so stupid the day my brother died, everything could be okay. But it's not." He said, tearing up more with each word.

After a couple hours of him venting and you comforting Michael, you and him were on the couch, watching cartoons and relaxing. It was getting dark, and you wanted to do something for him.

"Michael..you wouldn't mind going to the movies together tonight..would you?" You asked. He smiled.

"Of course I wouldn't, Y/N. I've always wanted to do that with you." He said.

"Well, I'm going to go put on some actual clothes and makeup. I'll only be a few minutes. You just chill there, I guess." You said.

"Now why on earth would you need makeup, Y/N? You've got the looks of a model." He said, smirking and putting his hands behind his head. You blushed.

"F-Fine! I'll take your word for it." You said, going to your room embarrassed by his compliment. He chuckled.

You were finally ready, and you walked into the living room where he was laid back, waiting on you.

"Do I look alright?" You asked. He looked at you. Your outfit was cute but casual too. He smiled.

"Perfect as always." He said. You blushed. The two of you left, arriving at the theater to go watch a horror movie.

"Wonder if they'll charge you with a kid's ticket since you're so short." He said, laughing. You blushed, embarrassed.

"I'm not even short, Mister Crumpet Boy. You just happen to be a beanpole." You said, smirking and crossing your arms. The two of you teased each other as you waited in line.