22. Holy Cow

"Let me take you somewhere?" Leo suggests.

"Sure, um let me get ready." I say trying to hide my sleepy appearance.

"How about I go change too and I'll come back in around 30 minutes?"

"Yeah"

I try to leave the room quickly yet smoothly. However my flustered state causes me to bang into my dresser, knocking over paint bottles and deodorants. Can you tell I'm the epitome of suave? Leo snorts behind me and with that I lock myself in the bathroom.

30 minutes, hmm, not a lot of time. I don't even know where he's taking me. I quickly brush my teeth and wash my face. Applying chapstick I realise I don't want to put on makeup, instead I comb my brows and curl my lashes. Now hair, I have no energy to do anything with it so I end up just brushing it out and tying an orange bandana around my head. I pull some baby hairs out and then put on my glasses.

Lastly, outfit. I search my closet to find that all my favourite clothes aren't there. Scanning my room, that's when I realise I really should start putting my clothes in the laundry basket and not leave them wrinkled accumulating on the ground. I turn back to the closet and continue to scour for a decent outfit because believe it or not, I don't think a fairy pirate costume from my childhood is appropriate.

I pull out some ankle grazer jeans, a plain white shirt, an oversized burnt orange flannel. I layer even more with a white padded coat. Grabbing my phone, I slip on some white platform sneakers then speed down the stairs realising it's been almost 30 minutes.

I step into the bustling cafe an I'm shocked when I come face to face with Jess. She's dressed for the season like me with thick layers. She seemed to be heading to the back where the kitchen is, but also where the stairs are.

"Hi?" I greet questioningly.

"Oh Hi! Gray said I could come back here, I was actually hoping I could talk to you." Jess explains.

"I've got a few minutes, what's up?"

"So I consider us friends, and I actually hoped we could become closer friends. This thing though came up, and I don't want it to ruin our friendship. I just don't want you to think I was using you becau-" She rushes.

"Are you talking about Jasper asking you out?" I interrupt.

"What? How did you know?"

"I overheard, and in fact I think it's great. I know you're not that type of person, and I know that Jasper genuinely likes you." I say thinking back to the text Jasper sent to Gabe.

This causes Jess's cheeks to tint pink and I notice her suppressed smile.

"Hey Peanut!"

I have not heard that in a while. What is with that boy and that nickname? I can't help but try suppress my own smile. Even those 2 words light a cozy fire of happiness within me. My expression catches Jess's attention though and her eyes widen as she clasps her hand over her mouth.

"Holy Cow! You like him, don't you?" Jess whispers.

I pause to think, what's the harm in telling Jess. She won't tell anyone right? But what about Jasper? I can't have her keeping secrets from him, even if they aren't properly dating. I believe they will be soon though and because of that, I make the decision that I'll tell my brother's soon if things between me and Leo develop further.

I release a sigh, "Yes, but don't tell anyone okay? Especially not my brother's. I'll tell them if things get serious."

"I promise!" Jess assures giddily.

Leo raises his eyebrow at me as he leans on the counter. Is that a signal? Wait, can we be spies? We've got to get walkie-talkies, cool glasses and lasers! A hand begins waving in my face bringing me back to reality.

"You spaced out, were you dreaming about me?" Leo flirts.

"Shh!" I harshly shush.

I rush out of the cafe but I'm blocked right as I'm about to leave.

"Where are you going?" Dad asks suspiciously.

Quick Ophelia, make up an excuse and make sure it's believable this time.

"Library."

"You have no books." Dad states with more skepticism.

"Well, um. Project! I have a project, a group project actually with Leo here." I lie turning to Leo however he's not there.

I look around to find him sat at the counter looking through an upside down menu. Wow. I thought I was being implausible. I march towards him and drag him by his forearm to the door where my Dad is still stood with a look of disbelief. Leo throws a low-key tantrum pulling away from my grip and claiming I'm blowing his cover.

"Me and Leo have a group project don't we?" I hint nudging Leo.

"Yeah, um, other classmates are bring the supplies."

Nice save! At least he was listening to my excuse. Dad tells me to call if I need anything and let's us leave. I can tell from living with this man for 17 years that he still has some doubt though. Once we pass the windows I slap Leo's arm.

"Nice one, with the upside down menu."

"What can I say, Peanut? I'm very talented."

We reach his black motorcycle and he gestures his hand for me to get on first. I can't however. I feel that there's too much we need to talk about before we distract ourselves.

"I assume neither of us want my brother's to find out about this?"

"I don't feel like getting my ribcage inverted. If they do find out about this though, it shouldn't be because they find me in your bed with a hangover." Leo answers.

"And what actually is this?"

Leo swallows, takes a breath and looks at me, "It can be whatever you want it to be, but I want to take you somewhere and show you something before you make that decision."