5. No Offence Dad

I don't know how Jasper took the news of our Mother's return, he was pretty quiet which is really out of character for him. The bell rang and we were forced to disperse to class. I'm in the gym's changing rooms now. I'm definitely not a sporty person, I break a sweat walking up the stairs.

I've been trying to focus on what gossip is going around to take my mind off of the events of this morning. Eavesdropping on different cliques' conversations, I pick up that everyone is still talking about Leo and I heard a few people whispering about my Mother's return. As I said before, everyone knows eachother in our town, so it's no surprise that news has spread.

All the gossip about Leo however consists of girls gushing over him. Tiffany (one of the popular girls) even went as far to say that she's already texting him and that everyone should back off. This made me snort, the guy seems like a player. Tiffany would have a hard time keeping a hold of him. Tiffany herself isn't so loyal either, in fact she cheated on her last 3 boyfriends... At least that's what I heard.

Other gossip about Leo included more rumours, however this time they seemed a tad more believable. Someone mentioned that they seen him riding his motorcycle around the sketchy side of town. Someone else mentioned that they heard he was kicked out of his previous schools. Others said similar things. No combine harvesters or fires were mentioned this time.

Once I was changed into my sports outfit I went into the gymnasium and sat at the side. I hated gym class. I didn't have any friends here because boys and girls are separated so Jasper couldn't accompany me and Jess was in a different class.
Minutes later the coach appeared and announced that we'd be playing soccer outside today. Most were excited. Me and a few others however weren't.

- - - - -

Gym class was dreadful! No one really passed to me which I'm not complaining about, but I had to still look like I was taking part and trying. So for 30 minutes I just ran up and down the pitch pretending I was chasing the ball.

Tuesday mornings are dreadful for me in general. I have gym and maths. So here I am sat in the maths class, in complete silence with Jasper. This morning is still on our minds. Deciding it's better to confront the matter instead of torturing our own heads with it, I turn to look at Jasper.

"What are you thinking?" I ask quietly.

There's a long pause but he eventually answers quietly, "Why is she back now? What made her come here?"

I actually never even thought of that. I was so caught up in anger of her showing her face that I didn't even think about why she's here. The teacher walks in and begins teaching immediately, saving me from having to come up with an answer for Jasper. My thoughts distracted me full class however and I couldn't focus. I'm going to fall behind, I may get good marks but I struggle and work hard to get them. Before I knew it the bell was ringing for lunch. Everyone scrambles to pack up and escape the classroom and I'm no different.

"Ophelia and Leo can you both stay behind for a minute" Mr Dove questions.

This caused some odd looks to be thrown our way and 2 or 3 glares my way. Seriously? These girls are acting like territorial cat. He's only been here a day and they've probably not even talked to him. I roll my eyes and head to the teacher's desk.

"Guys I'd like you both to stay after school for and hour or so to do a test. Every school in the area is being asked to give this test to top students"

And this is where I choke. Leo? A top student?

"You're a top student?" I ask Leo stunned.

"Of course I am Peanut! I'm the whole package, good looks, smart, talented, confident, funny-"

"Yeah funny looking" I interrupt. That was clearly a lie but someone has to distinguish his ego before it gets any bigger.

Mr Dove coughs awkwardly "So is that okay?"

"Sure" I nod.

"You betcha sir" Leo winks.

"Ow" Leo whines when I elbow him in the side.

"You can't take anything seriously can you?" I challenge.

Mr Dove leaves just as Leo turns to me, "Are you okay?"

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"About this morning" Leo clarifies, referring to the return of the heartless witch. I'd just gotten that out of my head! Instead of dwelling on the subject however I decide it'd more fun to tease Leo a bit.

"Is that concern I sense?"

Leo who I would expect to turn his inner playboy on does the complete opposite and flushed red in the cheeks. "Oh my! Are you blushing?" I laugh.

"Forget about it then" Leo huffs and speeds out of the room.

"Hey! Tell my brother's not to wait for me after school will ya?" I shout after him.

He doesn't respond and I just laugh to myself, shaking my heads. He's acting like a toddler who was told they can't get the toy they wanted. I head over to the art room and pull out my lunch. Mmmm. Mango, a sandwich and chocolate peanuts. Delicious! I put on some Harry Styles and dig into my lunch.

This is why I eat my lunch in here, it's relaxing, quiet, I can catch up on work and I don't get judged for eating alone. I could eat in the cafeteria with Jess but she sits with her own friends and I don't want to intrude. I definitely wouldn't eat with my brothers. They sit with the other popular people in school like Tiffany and Shanice. Leo probably sits with them now too.

I hum along to the music and pull out my portrait of young Leonardo DiCaprio I've been working on. That man is beautiful! Why did I get given these genes when Leonardo DiCaprio gets to look like that. No offence Dad.