eighteen | metamorphosis

Start from the beginning

Mari only shook her head. "You've been running around all day. I'll watch him tonight." 

Iroh nodded with a smile. "Don't kill each other."

"I don't have the energy tonight." Zuko grumbled.

"It's against my morals to harm the sick. I'll wait until it's a fair fight." Mari joked, earning a side glance from Zuko.

Iroh nodded happily before walking off to his room.

Mari turned her attention back to Zuko, who was looking up at her with tired eyes.

"I'm cold." He mumbled. Mari took notice to his shivering figure, his sickness was now giving him the chills.

"Here." She said, placing a woven cloth around him for warmth. 

Instead he shook it off of him, and tried to sit up.

"Zuko, stay down." Mari pressed against his shoulder.

He only swatted her hand away, sitting up anyways. He brought his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around himself for warmth. 

"I'm not a child." He argued.

"You don't have to be a child to be taken care of." Mari rolled her eyes.

Zuko laughed. "Since when have you taken care of me. Isn't it the other way around."

Mari scoffed. "I've saved your life more times than I can count this summer."

"That is not true."

"Yes it is."

"You're crazy."

"A thank you would be nicer." Mari scoffed.

Zuko let out a cough before looking at her. "Fine, Thank you." He whispered.

Mari tilted her head at him. It was the first time he had been appreciative towards her since they met. "What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Say it again."

Zuko rolled his eyes with a huff. "I said thank you." 

Mari looked at him and giggled. 

The look he gave her next, turned her giggle into a loud laugh. 

"What is wrong with you?" He asked, concerned.

"I never thought I would live to see the day Zuko thanked me for something."

He only rolled his eyes again. "You make me sound so entitled."

"Oh, are you not?"

Zuko looked at her, then looked down. "I'm not."

Mari quieted down, noticing his posture softening.

"I used to be nice, when I was a kid. I don't ever remember being angry, at least angry like I am now." He mumbled.

"What makes you so angry?" Mari asked him.