𝖝𝖑𝖛. Lost At Sea

 It doesn't need saying

 It doesn't need saying. They all know it. The gold hunt comes to an end. It's been over for a while now, but it doesn't have the same idea of finality as it does when they sit inside a SBI tent, waiting for something to happen, for someone to tell them that they got John B or to interrogate them.

Shoupe did try that earlier, now that she thinks of it. At least she thinks he did? He was trying to make friendly conversation, but they all knew what it was actually about. So they didn't say anything. They never would.

Besides, it's not like they actually have any idea which way he went. They put him on the boat, told him where to go, but he could've gone somewhere else to escape the cops.

The rain is anxiety inducing. The wind brings howlings and screams that drown against each other. But it's with every ounce of truthfulness that Kathryn says they had no idea what was going to happen when a SBI agent walks in.

He looks annoyed. Way past annoyed – pissed. So much so that the Pogues all instinctively get on their feet.

"John B Routledge and Sarah Cameron, your friends, I assume, are going right inside a storm," he tells them. "It's not about catching them now, it's about keeping them safe, okay?"

She thinks she heard Anna Carrera talk about a storm. Maybe she even saw some news about it, but she doesn't remember one bit of it. She just blinks, breath catching in her throat.

The man's small eyes settle on her. She gulps. "Are you Kathryn Elizabeth?"

She frowns, licking her lips and trying to hide her panic as best as she can. "Yeah. Yeah, I am."

"I need you to come with me."

"What?" JJ immediately cries out, tugging at her arm to put her behind him. "Why would she help you?"

The agent scoffs. "What part of taking an open boat into a raging sea don't you understand? It's a storm that they can't survive. We can all agree that your friends aren't dying tonight, and Shoupe told us she was his friend. If anyone has a shot at convincing them to come back, it might just be your girlfriend, so step back, and let her make her own choices."