𝖝𝖝. Ice Shards

 It's all a very happy and bonding moment because for once, everyone around Kathryn knows and trusts her

 It's all a very happy and bonding moment because for once, everyone around Kathryn knows and trusts her. She never knew what it felt like. She had Henry and Max, but that was it. Not her mom – definitely not her mom. Maybe she gets a second chance. Maybe there's a way out of this.

Of course, that's all very nice if you ignore the fact that the Douchebag Trio is currently blocking their way out and they're going to have to confront them at some point.

But for now, all is nice. No one is touching her, except for that cool hand she feels on her back, rubbing up and down soothingly, and she knows it's JJ's. And she hates to admit it, but it works. The panic attack has receded, and so have her tears. She didn't cry though. John B would probably tell her to let it go, that crying would make her feel better, but she's not sure about that theory. She's said it before; her mascara is expensive.

With that being said, she thought she'd hate feeling exposed. Why wouldn't she, when she's obviously worked so hard for no one to know? But turns out, it's not... half bad. She doesn't have to hide anything, and that sure takes a weight off her shoulders. But mostly, they're here for her. And that starves the fire out. A little bit, at least.

She breathes in, and JJ's scent overwhelms her. He smells like the sun. Or, well, at least the idea she has of the sun. Sea salt, sunscreen, mixed with the lemon of his laundry. It's calming.

Pope fidgets next to her, and she opens an eye. It's dark outside. She doesn't know when night fell.

"Okay, uh..." he begins. "Gotta take a piss."

JJ, from where he's holding Kathryn, frowns at Pope. "Hold it."

"I can't hold it. I drank too much soda."

"Okay, well, it's too exposed so how do you want to do this? I can bring the gun."

"JJ," Kathryn warns. "There's three of them, and you're two."

"Yeah, that's why I said 'bring the gun'."

"There are children here!" Kie cries out.

"Sorry to interrupt," Pope says, "but I gotta go." He turns around, and spots the bathrooms, next to the exit. Topper, Rafe and Kelce are in front of them. "They're blocking the bathrooms."