I. A Lover's Dream

Start from the beginning

"Our parents entrusted you under my care and that means finding you a husband," argued Lilith. When Despoina stayed still, she exhaled a deep breath. "The Twilight Circus is a perfect opportunity for men of the wealthy class to seek an interest in you. You will be seated next to so many eligible bachelors that they will be tongue-tied when they see your new gown."

"That is what happened to you, sister," mumbled Despoina. "You were the beauty they tripped over, not me. I was just the wallflower little sister."

"And yet here I am, happily married to my Andrew," she said softly as she pulled Despoina's arm away to see her icy, cerulean eyes. Lilith smiled. "All I want is for you to find a love just like ours."

The tone her sister used was similar to the gentle aura that surrounded her mother when they were young, the kindness in her eyes stood as the luring force, a pigment of the sky printed in her irises. Lilith was the only one who still loved her.

She was her only family.

And as her pleading eyes bore into hers, Despoina found it hard to deny her sister. It was the least she could offer for Lilith's hospitality.

Twilight Circus, she thought. Perhaps if she stayed reserved or bored the men out with her love for her father's research, then they would be tired of her by nightfall.

* * * *

The corset cinched at her waist stole the breath from her lungs as Despoina tightly smiled at her eager sister and her acquaintances as they settled on a seat. The flowing, rose-colored gown was in layers down from her hips, silk encompassing her shoulders and bosom in a sweetheart neckline, a slight glimpse of her chest catching the eyes of men around the room. 

She glanced down at her attire, feeling self-conscious. The ruffles on the skirt of the gown emulated the soft, velvet petals that surrounded the bud of a rose, delicate and fierce, the red standing proudly. Small, sparkling diamonds were woven into the heavy drapes of her dress, sewed into the seams to give the illusion of moonlight dawning on the gentle crevices of the elegant silk. 

Discomfort raised in her veins, knowing that the people in the room were silently judging her appearance, some in awe and the others in spite. If only the entertainment could start sooner than later.

Before her parents passed away, Despoina spent her days in her father's study reading whatever new literature she could reach. Her father used to tease her about her lack of social activity at these events. She would always hide under tables or behind a pillar to enjoy her next story. 

Her gloved hands touched her bare arms, rubbing the cold skin as a shiver ran down her spine. Tendrils of darkness engulfed her, and for a brief moment Despoina did not fight against it, allowing the memories of her parents sink deeper into her soul, embedding their legacy in her heart. 

A tragic carriage crash caused both her parents' demise and a house fire burned her father's scholarly studies about skeptical village lore, yet when he came to a valid conclusion of the fate of the villagers as told by prophecies, her parents mysteriously died. 

Despoina believed her father uncovered a dark secret, but whatever it was, his curiosity cost him. She had no way to find the real culprits, nor could she search her father's works either. They were all taken by her sister's husband.

Suddenly her memories dissipated into smoke as the candles around the room flickered, the crowd hushing as their eyes fell on the spotlight showman, the ringmaster of the circus.

His head down and a tall, felt top hat sat on his slicked back midnight onyx hair, the moonlight shimmering its white flecks against the smooth texture of it. His hat was rimmed with a velvet, blood red like the inside of his dark tailcoat. The buttons and chain that led to a pocket watch were a mystical gold, a brilliant glimmer against his prince of darkness attire.