Chapter 7

Trixie POV-

Monday comes soon enough and the day passes fast. I can't stop thinking about the weekend. Katya and I haven't much talked about the kiss between us but it clear she's remembering it too. She keep glancing over at me in English, at one point she winks. Jason gives her a dirty look and she rolls her eyes at him. A group project is announced which is okay. I like the project I just don't really like to work with other people on things. It's a presentation and speech on any group of people during the holocaust. If I really had a choice I'd pick LGBT people because I've researched the topic heavily before, but I'm pretty sure though I'd be allowed to do the topic, it would further encourage Jason and all his friends.

The instructions continue in the background, always super specific. I never really pay attention because I have good grades and the rubric will say it all anyways. I can never figure out why people are so confused with the instructional part of the assignments. When I look over my shoulder to the opposite corner of the room Katya is eying me to get my attention. I give her a nod, obviously we're going to be partners for the assignment. She smiles and makes a face at me and I crinkle my nose in response.

"Trixie and Katya pay attention." Mr. Cornel says. I turn back to the front, not really used to him telling me what to do. After forever he's finally done explaining and tells us to get into groups of three to work on the project with. I always forget he likes groups of three. Okay so me, Katya, and who else?

When we get out of our seats Katya and I head to each other and other groups start to form pretty fast. Everyone stands in their own little areas and soon there's only two people left in the middle and there's only one other group without one member which means we'll have to end up with someone. Hailey runs over to a group of two boys which doesn't surprise me because she likes to do all the work herself anyways and knows I wouldn't let her. Ginger is the only one left. She walks over to our group knowing she's the last one and we all sit where we are in the corner, ready to discuss our topic. Ginger is okay, she's never said much to me and anything she has said was nice. Regardless, she quickly starts to annoy the shit out of me. Katya and I are attempting to figure out what we're going to do for the project and Ginger keeps interrupting. I thought I was bad at interrupting but I'm beginning to rethink. Every word I say she asks Katya another basic life question. We can't get more than two sentences in without another random question being asked. Ginger seems to think that her and Katya are the best friends here and I'm the lame third wheel who happened to stumble in. When quite literally she stumbled in last and from the looks of it Katya has talked to her like once.

The end of class does not come soon enough and as we gather our things and walk out the classroom door Ginger waves in our direction. "See you tomorrow Katya!"

Katya gives her a shy wave and once we're out of ear shot I can't help but burst out laughing. "Do you know her?" I ask through bouts of laughter.

"Not well." Katya replies cracking a smile. "She acts like we've been best friends for years."

We reach Katya's locker and I tell her I'll meet her back there after I grab my jacket. When I get back she's nearly finished packing up and we walk to the front of the school. "Wanna come over?" Katya asks. "I can drive you home later."

I shrug. "Sure."

I text my grandma where I am and we get into Katya's car. Her house isn't too far away. It's in a pretty small neighborhood with cozy old houses. We pull into the driveway and she leads me up the stairs to the door. When she opens it I can hear a baby crying. "Oh by the way, my mom runs a day care." She mentions. "All main floor is daycare, top floor is all our families rooms and stuff and the teeny tiny basement is mine. Perks of being the oldest I guess."