Chapter 21 - The Invisible Island

Comenzar desde el principio

"- is not my strength," Sofia finished for him.

He laughed.

"Yes, that much I have gathered." He turned to Ami. "Where has that beautiful bird of yours gone?"

Instinctively, Ami put his arm over his pocket, feeling the Bayla quivering and rolling up into a tight ball.

"It flew away," he said, not missing a beat.

"That's too bad." And with that, Inaan winked at them and returned to his post at the helm.

When he was out of earshot, Ami whispered,

"That was the best lie I ever told."

His eyes were wide with surprise at his own action.

Sofia made an earnest face.

"It was impressive."

"Very impressive," Orì agreed.

"Are you making fun of me?"

"Nooo," the girls assured him.

"It might be best not to tell them about the Bayla," Ami said. "What if they - I don't know, take it from us?"

"You're right. We might need it. In case we have to escape," Orì said. "These islands sound interesting. Maybe they are the right place for us now. But can't be sure."

They settled back in with the rhythm of the waves, observing Inaan and his crew as they expertly navigated through waters that seemed to be the same all around, though they weren't, of course.

Sofia closed her eyes and listened to the wind. It howled and whistled like a melody by a chorus that was slightly out of sync, yet always found its way back to its center. The waves lapped against the hull of the ship, and from time to time the sails shuddered and groaned as they were adjusted either with the wind or against it, depending on Inaan's instructions. The continuity of the sounds lulled her in, but just as she felt herself dozing off, there was suddenly a choppy quality to the wind, as if it was being hacked into pieces. As if on cue, the ship tilted to one side, laying itself diagonally into the wind instead of following its course.

Sofia opened her eyes.

"Did you feel that?" she asked Orì and Ami.

"Feel what?" Orì asked.

"That movement. The change in the wind."

"It changes all the time, doesn't it?"

"Actually, no."

"Hm." Orì shrugged. "Maybe it's an island."

Ami looked into the distance.

"I can't see anything."

"That's what the word invisible means." Somehow, Piri had managed to sneak up on them. He nodded at Sofia. "You could be a sailor, if you're able to feel this."

Sofia smiled at him, uncertainly. During their journey, the crew, even though they had introduced themselves, had kept their distance. They did so under the disguise of busyness, but it was clear from the way they kept looking at them that they didn't trust them.

"Where are you from, anyway?" Piri now asked, not attempting to hide the aggressive note in his tone.

"Inaan said we don't need to tell you," Sofia replied.

Piri scowled.

"Yet," he said, turning to walk away from them. "You don't need to tell us, yet."