1.A forsaken window pane

7:00 a

7:00 a.m., Pacific Daylight time,

Friday, 15th September 2021,

Sheriff station, Serene Heights, California.

Once upon a time, Isn't it how they start a fairytale? If you want to hear a fairytale, trust me this is not what you are looking for. My story isn't even that good, don't expect my story to be Harry potter. Let me be perfectly clear, whatever happened last night was not my fault. Just yesterday, my life was monotonously boring, just the same old boring school and the same old crap that they call 'homework'.

I woke up to sunlight blinding my eyes through barred windows. I stretched my hands, out of habit to get rid of my grogginess, a searing pain shot through my right wrist, something heavy and metallic piercing my skin. It was a silver bracelet that linked my wrist to another person's wrist. Hold up! They were handcuffs! The fact that my head was still resting on a boy's shoulder freaked me out. I jolted up and yanked my hand.

I wondered what was the point handcuffing each other when both of them can escape. I didn't bother to ask anyone.

"Ouch!" a voice next to me said, "stop it you witch!" This is how screwed up I was, I reminded myself, sitting in the sheriff station.

What did you just say!

"How dare you call me a witch!, you freak!" I hissed pulling my hand harder.

"You act like maleficent" he cursed, running his free hand through his wind-ruffled raven hair.

"You are like the beast, in the 'beauty and the beast'" countered. I stomped his feet with the heel of my ankle boots.

"Oww," he winced, "but does that make me a prince?" he winked, his copper eyes gleaming. I wondered where I had seen him before, he is that new kid in school, as far as I can remember we have a few classes together. I did not remember his name, so I wanted to try that thing where you say the wrong name and the other person corrects you by telling their actual name but I just remembered.

"You're Simon right? Were you at school last night? what were you doing?"

"You didn't answer my question!" he protested, pulling the cuffs harder.

"You...you-"

"Will you both shut it!" My best friend, Bethany yelled from across, now that I noticed she was handcuffed to a freak called Lucy. Well, that was worse because we both hate Lucy. Lucy is my arch nemesis but that is an another story for another day. I also noticed that Daniel and Aaron (two of my other best friends) were handcuffed together, sitting right next to Simon.

"Daniel, do you think Lucy did it?" I whispered to him.

Before he could say anything, Simon interrupted, "No, I was with Lucy the whole time." But who knows, maybe he did it or...or they did it together.