Chapter Five

I lay in bed, listening to my parents discuss the details of my grounding. My bright red hair lies splayed out across my sky blue pillowcase.

"She didn't do anything any other teenager hasn't done at least once. One-week tops," my mom says. She's sticking up for me. I love that she can see things from my side.

My dad chuckles with sarcasm, "A month, at least, Judy," he continues, "She lied to us, that's a breach of our trust- And for a boy no less!"

Mom sighs, "Two weeks, let's make a compromise."

Dad sighs back, "That's fair, let's go talk to her.'

I pretend I haven't heard anything when they come in, "Hey mom," I nod, "dad."

Dad starts, "Don't 'hey' me, young lady. You know that you're in big trouble. You were out past curfew, and we know you were with that Andrews boy."

I look up at him sheepish, "I'm sorry dad, I shouldn't have stayed out that late and I shouldn't have lied to you."

Mom intervenes, "Be honest with us Riley. We try to work with you. That said, we've decided on two weeks. No leaving the house except for school and school-related functions."

"Got it," I reply to them. I purse my lips, attempting to look dejected.

Dad says, "Your friends are welcome to come over and you may take calls on the house phone."

My parents tell me they love me before leaving the room, Moments later, I hear a sharp tick against my window.

I wake with a start. Jumping out of bed and running to my window. There's nothing there- no visible reason for the noise. I rub my eyes, telling myself the noise was a part of my dream. I lay back down, I have to try to get back to sleep. It's Thursday. That means I'm in for a long day.

I'll have to go to school, then cheerleading practice, followed by counseling. Plus, Lis wants to come by for dinner tonight. I may have to tell her I'm seeing a counselor. Otherwise, she'll push me to understand why she can't come over after practice. I shove the thought from my mind, I can worry about that later.

I wake to my alarm beeping. The groggy feeling in my head reminds me that I woke up last night and struggled to get back to sleep. It takes me a minute, but I finally get up to dress and prepare for school. I pull on a pair of jeans and a sunflower yellow blouse. I'm hopeful that the cheerful color will veil my melancholy mood.

After pulling my hair up into my usual messy bun, I reach for my cell phone. Lis has texted me three times already this morning. I go to our text messages to see what she says.

Wake Up!

I need to talk to you!

Call me! ASAP

My fingers bump against the wrong keys as I rush to dial her number. She picks up after the first ring, "It's official! Kory likes you, like a lot!" She blurts it out after answering the phone.

My face breaks into a stupid grin before the doubt sets in. Then I question her, "Did you hear this from someone?"

She laughs at me, "Of course! Ash, I heard it from James Reed. He said that Kory has talked non-stop about you since the day everyone returned from Camp Meadows." She continues, " James was thinking we could double. You know, since he asked me out!"

I gasp, "What! James asked you out! When? Where? How???"

Lis squeals with glee, "I'll fill you in later, can I come by tonight?"