Chapter 2

Dawn broke a few hours after they entered the forest. Zan Yu appreciated the canopy that blocked the sun from them. The light that sliced through provided him with a better view of his surroundings. The trees were thick from old age, and as they rode on, they began to slim. The forest edging the Zhouguang palace was sacred land, protected by palace sentries from any harm. They must have left the palace grounds. Sticks snapped under hooves, and sweat slid down his face. His stomach grumbled as the day went on. His eyes followed the veins of the trees upward into the thick of the leaves, and shut when the light landed on his face. He felt the cloak slip off of his head, but he kept his eyes shut.

"Pull it back on," a low voice snapped at him. He jolted in his seat and opened his eyes only to be blinded by white spots. He could make out Tai Shi's cloaked figure turning away from him. Zan Yu huffed out a breath and reached back to adjust his cloak. Back to the sweltering heat of the bulky, dark cover. His mind wandered, following the Jiang daily routine. Wake up at dawn, roll up the cots. Wash your face, put on your uniform. He would teach the children something new in the morning, like counting or reading. Then, they would go to the servant's mess hall and eat breakfast together. Some days he would sneak into the kitchen to swipe some sweet pastries for them to enjoy.

"You will be travelling to deliver a scroll. We are sending you because the navigator will need an escort. You are to wear your cloak within the range of civilization. Should she or any of your companions be in danger, you are to put yourself in front to protect them. Do you accept the terms?"

He had nodded and bowed. What else was he to do? Refuse, and he would be seen as disloyal.

"Good. You leave before dawn tomorrow morning. The emperor's cabinet has agreed to provide someone to take care of your siblings in your absence."

When Zan Yu was sure the sun had reached its peak, they slowed. They stopped under a gnarled tree with a wide base, which had become rarer as they traveled further. Zan Yu slowly slid off of An, gasping in both relief and pain as he landed on his feet. Jingfei smirked at him from where she had dismounted. She pulled her waterskin out of her pack and took a swig before tucking it away and approaching him. She held out a hand for the reins, which Zan Yu was holding on to as if he had no clue what to do, which was true. He handed them over and stepped towards the tree, his legs almost giving away at first. He stumbled over to the base of the tree, slumping to the ground next to Tai Shi, who was coolly leaning against the tree, occasionally sipping from his waterskin.

"We can snack a bit, then I want to get back on the road," Jingfei said as she tended to the horses. Zan Yu scanned the "road" ahead. The forest was becoming denser and there was no visible path. They were in territory that was rarely used for travel. Zan Yu picked at the yellow wildflowers sprouting from the soil. They were like weeds, crowding around every tree, leeching off of a larger creature. The red welts on his fingers from grasping the reins softened between the petals of the flowers. A batch of flowers were crushed underneath Tai Shi's boots, leaving opaque streaks on the leather.

"You brought the fruit, yes?" Zan Yu dragged his gaze away from the worn leather of Tai Shi's riding boots up to his face. Tai Shi's porcelain skin was tinged with pink from the heat. Ink black eyes staring down at him, waiting.

"Yeah, do you want some?" Zan Yu asked, fumbling for his bag. He had taken it off before collapsing on the ground and shucked it a few feet away. Tai Shi shifted closer to where Zan Yu had moved. Zan Yu crouched over his bag, feeling around for the paper bag. He pulled out a few apples and handed one to Tai Shi, who nodded his thanks before walking back to his spot against the tree. Jingfei, who had tied up the horses and fed them a few treats, removed her jacket and knotted it around her waist before accepting the apple from Zan Yu. She took a bite before speaking.