Heart On Fire

Christopher Constantinou

It had been two days since I started the search in every possible area around. But I still had nothing. How was she hiding so well? Then my mind goes back to her. Artino. Of course, her. Even when I am so close, I am so far.

I haven't slept the last forty-eight hours, barking commands. Breaking tables and vases were my speciality nowadays. If not that, I would have killed half my men already. My Lycan was growing impatient as the time ticked. If I didn't find her soon, I don't know what I would end up doing. I needed to breathe her in.

I close my eyes trying to imagine her in my arms as my lungs recalled her, that intoxicating scent of hers. But it didn't do much.

Letting out a deep growl, I took the car keys and headed out to hunt her down myself. I drove around the city aimlessly, sticking to the blue sea. I parked my car as I came across a small town. It was situated on a hill right beside the beach, covered with layers and layers of houses around until the top. I got off the car and made my way towards the faded white stairs, leading to the small shops, restaurants around.

It wasn't crowded unlike some towns. It seemed quitter and smaller, but equally as beautiful as the rest of the place here. My eyes briefly scanned through the houses and people as I slowly made my way around the small corners.

This place was still mostly untouched by the outside world. The more I walked around, the more it pulled me towards it. I came to an edge and saw a stair leading down to the beach. Right in front of the stairs, sat a small café, facing the sea. The sun brightly lit over the tall glass walls, inviting me in.

My legs moved on his own accord as I now opened the door, jingling bell in process. I narrowed my eyes as looked around the pastel blue decorations of the insides of the café. A linger scent tightened a knot in my heart and I made my way towards the sofa beside the glass window, where the sun was heavily showering upon that corner.

I leaned on the empty sofa, taking in the faint scent. She was here. But how long ago? My hands clamped on the arm of the sofa as my jaws tightened. Was I too late again? Where was she now?

No, I cannot lose her after getting so close.

I turn around and march to the counter, placing my hands-on top in a tight fist. "Hey, where's the girl that was sitting on the sofa over there?" I asked the girl behind the counter.

"Sorry-" She spun around. Her mouth hung open as she saw me and mine imitated her actions. How did I not smell her? Was I that much affected by her scent that everything else was null?

Her brown hair was tied up in a high bun. Huge rusty copper eyes with yellowish golden sparkle around, stared at me in shock. I finally found her.

Harmony Artino in flesh.

"H-how-" she couldn't even form coherent sentence. I shake my head in disbelief and I released a huff of breath. "Miss Artino."

I slightly did a mock bow. But that seemed to have brought her out of her shocked state and her eyes fumed with pure hatred. "Don't ever call me that." She hisses dangerously as she leans forward on the counter, warning clear on her voice.

I raise my hands in surrender. "I don't know what else to call you then-"

"You don't have to call me anything. I'd rather you leave." She leaned back and stood straight. Her arms folded across her chest as her eyes angrily stared at me.

"I'm sorry Miss, but I cannot do that yet. I was ordered to find you as well as someone else that seemed to have tagged along with me. And I cannot leave either of you in here. And definitely not her."

"I don't know what you are talking about." She tries to act defiant. But I know she's lying.

My own eyes grow hard as I look into her eyes. "I won't ask again, where is she?"

"Who do you mean?" She questions not backing away.

"Eliana Tessa Castellanos." I saw her jaws clench upon hearing that name, like she was expecting to hear that. She swallowed her nervousness as she tried to hold my intimidating glare. "Who's she to you?" She narrows her eyes. "What's it to you what she does or where she goes?"

"She's mine." I growled deeply. I felt my Lycan grow restless as the seconds passed. I saw the shock on her face. Her arms unfolded and she took a step back, her eyes flickering to the side before looking back at me, making sure I was not lying.

"What?" A sound barely above whisper leaves her mouth. "You are lying right? I mean why would anyone leave their true mate?" She stands upright as she shakes her head in hesitation as if I lied.

I snarled at her and slammed hard on the counter. "Why don't you tell me where she is and we both can hear it from her?"

She shakes her head as she steps closer. Her eyes flicker to my hands that was on the counter and I narrow my eyes at her. She swallows and tries to discretely place her hands on top of mine, but I jerk my hands away.

"Not so fast, Artino."

"I said not to call me that." She growls at me angrily. The copper golden eyes of hers got darker as her pupils too got larger.

"Then tell me where she is." I growl, equally angry. Impatient and sleeplessly tired. I could feel the veins on my temples straining out. My chest was heaving as my vision started to cloud. My Lycan was winning over me. It never happened to me. I was one of the true born that could tame their emotions and their Lycan. Hence, the power and position that I earned.

But right now, was proving to be everything that I was not. This mate of mine had caused a havoc in my heart, leaving me dishevelled to a point where I didn't even know who I was anymore. Goddess, help me, for I will destroy your creation, everything that you gave life to, I will cease it. If you keep her away from me any longer, I swear this, I will end everything.

I felt my canines extend over the corner of my bottom lips. My vision now fully clouded by my fury. I knew I was turning. Shifting into the beast I was.

I saw her move away from the counter, her hands out, palms facing my way. "Calm down now." She says softly but I growl back at her. My heart on fire.

Only she could extinguish this flame that was raging inside of me. Deep growls kept forming on the back of my throat and soon it echoed the empty café.

Just when I was ready to rampage, the bell on the door jingled announcing an intruder. I growled loudly as I turned around, only to come face to face with her.

Her smell engulfed the entire café as the door closed behind her, blowing her soft blond hair which was now cut short. But she still looked stunning. Out of this world.

Her entrancing blue eyes stared at me with disbelief while those plump lips of hers parted slightly. I felt the air around us sizzling with current and I moved towards her. Inhaling her scent. All of it. Like a hungry animal.

As I got closer to her, I took one big step and stood an inch away from her. I hovered over her and looked down at her as her blue eyes too never left mine. I bought my hands to linger over her face, wanting to hold her in my hands. I wanted to feel her. I wanted her. All of her.

Seeing her still staring at me, shocked. I closed my eyes and continued breathing her, slowly leaning towards her until my head was on the base of her neck. A soft gasp escaped her lips as soon as my forehead came in contact with her bare skin. I felt her shudder as the current now buzzed throughout our body.

My Lycan finally calmed down and I felt myself turning back to my human self. I turned my head towards her neck, my lips grazed her sweet flesh and another gasp left her lips.

"Mine."