Mother put her arms on her hips. 'Because you were the ones who dropped them in the mud.'

I grinned and winked at Lylef. 'And don't you forget it.'

She mumbled profanities beneath her breath.

It was the only way we could explain how they got dirty. Every morning Lylef retrieved the clean robes and leathers to bring them inside. To save a scolding, we lied and told them that she'd dropped them in the muddy puddle near the stream. Lylef wasn't happy that she got the blunt of the blame. But it was the eve of my Manhood hunt and she made the exception. Had I known she'd be cleaning robes for the next month, I might have thought up a better lie.

We stopped at the base of the stairs leading up to where they sat. 'You should've seen him, Yrdrid — a natural — each swing more beautiful than the last' Father shot a proud, Chiefly look in my direction. 'Had the entire tribe in an uproar.'

Lylef rolled her eyes, 'That's cause you were there, father... any villager would be a fool not to cheer in your presence.'

'Lylef!' Mother said, glaring like she cursed. 'Mind your tongue.'

Father chuckled, scratching his beard, and pondered on her words. 'If you were there, you would've seen it,' He told Lylef, 'your brother swung with the finesse and strength of a Chief — And the villagers loved it!'

"This is simply untrue," I chuckled, waving his words away. "Father gives me far too many praises."

'I'll say.'

Mother's nose curled, 'Lylef!'

Father guffawed, 'Praises well earned.'

Lylef rolled her eyes again and went back to scrubbing her robe like she was was trying to remove blood.

'I think you owe your brother an apology,' mother snapped.

Lylef grumbled, 'I think somebody owes me an apology—'

I grabbed my stomach, lifted my chin, and laughed from deep in my belly. 'Oh, mother... Lylef is only teasing me.' I gave a toothy grin. 'Right?'

Lylef sat silently while her eyes darted between mother and father. 'Of course I am,' she giggled dryly, 'Who would think lesser of dear old Eroh? In fact, I bet he could take on a Minotaur if he had to.'

Both my parent's faces lit with worry. But they nodded in agreement. I wasn't convinced they meant it. Father interjected, 'are you ready for the hunt tomorrow, my boy?'

'Ready?' I took the head of the club and beat it into my palm. Pain shot into my fingertips. I grunted and shook the numbness away. 'Am I ever.'

Lylef snorted and giggled.

Mother and father looked around like they hadn't seen it.

Father stretched out his arms, 'you wait. Eroh is going to catch the largest fish in the loch. I can feel it.' He put his hand on the club and his weight, nearly throwing me off my feet. 'Cause you have the heart of a warrior.'

Lylef leaned a cheek against her fist. 'There he goes, boasting about Eroh again.'

'And I'll boast until I die!'

'Careful now, children,' Mother said. Her eyes sparkled at father. 'If you boast as much as your father does, it'll be the only thing written and remembered about you.'

Father caught her gaze and returned a devilish look of his own. He gave a crooked grin, half hidden behind his beard, nudged me, then prowled up the stairs.