Chapter 18 : Presents Galore

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I rubbed my eyes again and moaned quietly enough so Halima wouldn't hear.

The journey home seemed longer than usual, and I can't say I wasn't relieved when, at long last, we stumbled through the front door.

I went through to the living room and got the fire burning, while Halima went into the kitchen and put the meat in the oven for our Christmas Dinner. Apparently it was a big ordeal in Arendelle, to have a special feast with the whole family on this particular day.

Only, this was rather ironic considering we wouldn't be having this meal with our 'entire family's'.

Halima knew mine was still alive and not dead like I'd previously led her to believe. But they were trapped in the Forest, so obviously wouldn't be able to come; no matter how hard I'd been praying that somehow they might be able to escape the Forest for at least one day.

And Halima was the only member of her living family still in Arendelle. She'd been an only child and both her parents had passed away. Some Aunts and Uncles had moved away to raise their families. And she'd never married, so didn't have any children of her own; unless you count those Royals and myself.

So it would be a quiet Christmas, but we'd grown extremely fond of each other's company. Halima no longer felt alone, and I was becoming used to the idea of not being surrounded day in day out by Northuldran people, my family, and my friends.

My heart still ached whenever I suddenly remembered that fact, though. Some things will never change.

Once I had the fire going, I barely had time to ruffle Cricket's fur as I was in such a rush to get to the washroom upstairs.

My face mustn't have been as red as it was a few minutes ago, but I still splashed it several times with the cool water from the tap. I felt a lot refreshed for it anyway, and made my way back downstairs; my breathing evening out and I no longer felt so jumpy.

Halima was still busy in the mistletoe-covered kitchen, so I went back into the living room where I spotted the paperbag I'd discarded on my armchair.

I picked it up and knelt in front of the tall Christmas tree which stood in the corner of the room. It was decked out with red and white berries, had a pile of presents beneath it, and was usually glowing with lots of little candles, but we hadn't lit them just yet.

It was the complete opposite of the Christmas tree in the Castle ballroom. That was simply massive and it looked as though every single branch had a piece of ribbon tied around it and a flaming candle. None of the humble decorations in our house had anything on those that were royal, but I preferred them anyway:

Mistletoe and bunting was strung in every room, even winding up the staircase banister; wreaths of berries, holly, pinecones and fir-tree needles were hanging from the doors; and curiously scented candles sent their smells wafting through the house.

But my favourite ornament by far was definitely the funny, mismatching pair of stockings hanging on either side of the fireplace. They were the socks Halima and I had knitted at the beginning of this festive season and I loved them.

Carefully, I reached into the bag and pulled out Arianna's present. It felt strange - the top part was soft but the bottom half was hard. I was certainly intrigued and placed it beside the other gifts.

Then I took out the gift from Nuru-Baako. He'd given it to me once the two of us were outside and before I went into the crowd to find Halima. I didn't know what to make of the shape and was excited to open it.

And finally I picked up the present from Agnarr. It was small and boxy, and I found I could laugh at the sloppy wrapping; but it was the thought that counted.