Chapter 17 : The Jule Bell

AGNARR

I stood on the ballroom balcony, looking out over the snow-covered Kingdom before me, watching the merry folk as they shopped and played.

It was only early morning and the sun had not yet fully risen in the rather bleak sky, but children were already running around throwing snowballs or making snowmen; groups of young Ladies were walking along the quiet, white streets doing some last minute shopping; boys were spending their time either hollering at the girls or kicking around a ragged, leather ball; and a few elderly couples had emerged onto their wooden porches to finish off their Christmas decorations.

Speaking of which; Arianna and I had only just finished our own the previous day - every year we'd work together to make a scene out of pieces of straw weaved together. This year we'd made ourselves and our parents at Christmas time - it was almost as if they were here with us. It was set up under the large and brightly coloured Christmas tree in the ballroom, surrounded by several presents which would be opened in a few hours.

Of course we'd included Nuru-Baako in our creativity, and he'd made a group of three people (his family). It was messy, but he'd never done the weaving before; it was an Arendelle thing to weave.

Frederic on the other hand had ditched us; returned to his beloved, and abnormally large, family to celebrate the holidays. We could tell Nuru-Baako was envious, but tried not to show it. So we tried to make him feel as at home as possible - even more so than before.

I was just getting used to the peaceful silence of the Christmas morning, when all of a sudden, I heard the sound of the ballroom doors opening. Without thinking twice, I jumped up onto the balcony railing and swung myself onto the roof.

I didn't know who was entering, but I didn't care to find out either; wishing to have this time to myself and myself alone.

The person, whoever they were, didn't spend very long in the room, almost immediately walking back out again, but I didn't lower myself back onto the railing straight away. Instead, I sat down on the small patch of roof jutting out over the balcony, and continued to survey the scene below me.

It was a calming exercise, watching how tranquil people's lives were compared to my own. It almost made me think I could have a normal life, and certainly made me envy those who had.

That's when I spotted a dark-haired girl ambling along the street, and smiled to myself. She was bundled in warm, woollen clothes and walking a small puppy which was bounding ahead of her, sniffing everything in sight.

I could recognise that girl anywhere, she always had a mysterious sort of aura about her - even at this height.

In spite of myself, I followed Iduna with my eyes until she disappeared onto her street. Some small voice told me to go down into the streets and say hello to her, but the louder voice advised me to stay were I was.

I shook my head. She was a bit too nice and pretty for her own good, I decided, and hooked my hands into the sides of the roof so I could hop down onto the balcony.

It turned into some crazy trust exercise, with the railing in charge of making sure I didn't fall to my very likely death as I landed awkwardly on the floor of the balcony. Straightening, I turned my head to make sure no one had seen me (which, in hindsight, was stupid because I'd already made up my mind that whomever had walked in earlier, had left) and strode across the wooden tiles to the door.

Throwing them open, I came face to face with my sister.

Startled, I lurched backwards as she leaned forwards with a smirk and her arms folded.