Chapter 12

I woke up feeling refreshed the next morning. I don't know if it was exhaustion from staying out late or from information overload from the night before, but I slept soundly. I woke up, hopped out of bed, and got dressed for work.

I began humming to myself as I made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen. Iris noticed my cheery mood and sat across from me at the table. Joe was nowhere to be found. He must be at the precinct already this morning.

"So you were out with Barry last night?" Iris asked excitedly. "Are you two like, a thing now?"

"Iris, I don't think so. I mean, yeah, we're kind of a thing, but nothing is... official, I guess. But I really like him," I admitted. My hand moved to my neck, a nervous habit I developed when I was a kid.

"You were out pretty late..." she said in a teasing voice. "And you were the one telling me to use protection," she muttered, loud enough for me to hear.

"Iris!" I smacked her arm. "It's not like that! We haven't even kissed yet."

She sighed dramatically. "Typical Barry. Don't worry, girl. If he likes you, which I know for a fact that he most certainly does, it'll happen. Barry doesn't like to take anything too quickly."

I had to bite my lip to hide my smile at what she had just said. Keeping this secret was going to be slightly harder than I thought.

------------------------

That morning at work was dull. I ran dumb errands for the Captain that I'm pretty sure were not in my job description, and I didn't get to see Barry all morning. But I found myself constantly looking around for him, as if he would magically appear at any moment.

I guess that's not such an unreasonable idea anymore.

The front doors to the lobby flew open, and a team of cops came running in. "Where's Iris?!" one of them shouted. Iris and I both ran out of the crowd into the open space near the team of officers.

"Joe's been hurt," another officer said. "The red streak saved him from an elevator malfunction caused by a power failure, but he has a serious concussion and some small cuts and bruises. He's at the hospital right now, getting patched up."

"The Streak saved my father? Thank the Lord!" Iris took off running for the doors.

"He's called The Flash, by the way," I added before quickly following her. I figured I should give Barry a little street cred. He deserves it.

Barry. No wonder I hadn't seen him all morning. I need to meet with him again, get more of the story now that I'm pretty sure I won't be passing out in the middle of the lab.

Iris and I arrived at the hospital in record time. The clerk pointed us in the direction of Joe's room, and I was very unsurprised to see Barry already sitting in one of the chairs provided by the small room. He stood when Iris and I rushed in.

"Barry! Is my dad okay?" Iris questioned, worry flooding her voice.

"He's fine, Iris. Just a slight concussion and some scrapes and bruises. He should be all good to go home tonight, from what the doctor told me."

Iris strode over to her father's bedside and took a hold of his hand, so Barry and I quietly slipped outside to give her a moment.

As soon as the door shut behind us, I enveloped him in a hug, catching him off guard. I raised myself up onto my tiptoes so I could whisper into his ear.

"Thank you for saving him, Flash."

A huge smile spread its way across his face, but then he pretended to become serious and puffed out his chest a little.