Chapter 13

Barry returned to STAR Labs unhurt, and I thanked the good Lord. He was rattled a little; the robber had pulled a gun on him. But he managed to take the gun from the robber's hand, run outside the bank, grab a pair of handcuffs from an officer's belt, and 'cuff the guy, bringing him outside into the midst of the crowd of police officers outside the building.

Back at the lab, he quickly changed out of the red suit and into his regular clothes, returning to my side with an arm wrapped around my midsection.

I hugged his side, trying to hide the blush that crept up into my cheeks. Our kiss was interrupted only fifteen minutes ago, but it felt like an eternity of time had passed since I'd had Barry wrapped in my embrace.

"I think we should celebrate," Barry stated matter-of-factly.

"With another round on the treadmill? I think you're absolutely right," Dr. Wells said, wheeling himself toward the room where the treadmill was kept.

Barry sighed, defeated, and slouched into the small room to put the correct shoes on. I wanted to be alone with Barry, yes, but I also was intrigued at the fact that I could watch Barry run at the speed of sound without him going anywhere.

"This treadmill can handle Barry's speed?" I asked to no one in particular.

"Oh, yeah," Caitlin answered. "We modified it to be able to withstand whatever speed Barry is capable of reaching."

"It's been Cisco-ed!" Cisco interjected, and I burst into laughter, not even close to being able to contain myself.

"I'm ready whenever you guys are." Barry's voice was being projected out of the speakers from the small room into ours as he stepped up onto the machine. Then he pressed a button, and the monitors lit up in front of Cisco and Caitlin. The treadmill began to move, and Barry broke into a light jog.

The computers in front of me showed his vitals, and I gasped at the number that represented his heart rate.

Caitlin noticed. "His heart rate is within normal range. For him," she added.

My eyes darted back to Barry, a smile on his face as his legs moved faster now, becoming a blur beneath his body as his speed plateaued at around 750 miles per hour. I glanced back down at the heart rate monitor, but nothing had changed. He was abnormal, that much was certain, but he looked completely normal.

Wells pushed a button on the microphone. "Push yourself, Mr. Allen. You can go faster."

His heart rate increased slightly, and my eyes returned to him. The speedometer increased to 810 mph, and I was absolutely intrigued.

"More," Wells commanded, and Barry pushed himself even faster, his heart rate increasing a bit more. I kept my eyes trained on him, worried about his safety. At that high of a speed, even a minor accident could be fatal...

I moved the microphone away from Dr. Wells. Barry was sweating now, and he looked like his energy was zapped.

I pushed the button on the mic.

"Barry, stop!" I spoke into the small room, worry coating my voice.

He turned his head, still running full force, so he could look through the window at us. The expression Dr. Wells had on his face said 'Don't Stop' so Barry continued to run.

"Please, Barry," I added. I couldn't take much more of this. His energy was draining, and he looked like he was about to pass out.

When he heard my voice again, he allowed the treadmill to slow to a stop before walking back into the room. But I was already halfway to the door.