Chapter 41

Team Flash was sitting in the Cortex where I had passed out over an hour ago, going over details of the tsunami. I heard Caitlin and Cisco saying something about possible aftershocks, but I wasn't paying attention. Barry was sitting in a wheeled chair with me on his lap, listening to the conversation but contributing little. I wasn't really listening to what was being said either; I haven't been able to take my eyes off Barry since I woke up. I told him about my dream while I was in my "mini coma," and he said that he thought he had heard me say his name once, about five minutes before I woke up. He then proceeded to tell me everything about the tsunami and how he had to show Iris his identity before stopping the giant wave from hitting the city.

"You... Wait, what?! Oh my God, Barry... How are you doing?"

He chuckled, "You see, that's what I love about you. I just told you that your best friend found out a huge secret about her other best friend since we were little, that you knew about and didn't tell her. And you know that she's probably going to be crazy upset with you for keeping it from her, and you're asking if I'm okay? Only you," he smiled, pulling me into him.

I shrugged a little, rubbing his shoulder with the hand that wasn't around his neck. "I just wanted to make sure you were all right. You've been through a lot in the last several hours, and I don't want you bursting a blood vessel in your brain and going rogue on everyone. I just don't think a straightjacket would look too great with your crimson suit."

"Ha. You're hilarious," Barry snarked, but flashed me his beautiful smile and pecked my cheek.

Dr. Wells noticed our side conversation and stopped to reprimand us. "I know that neither of you are listening to this conversation," Dr. Wells interrupted. "So if you two are quite finished..."

I sent a silent look to Barry. Here we go again.

Wells's look immediately softened, and a hint of a smile touched his lips. "If you are quite finished here, I think you should both take the night off. I think you both have earned it."

My eyes widened and I looked around the room full of smiles.

"Thank you, Dr. Wells," Barry said. "You should take the night off too. Everyone should. We can finish up logistics tomorrow."

The decision was unanimous, and everyone cleared out of the lab as quickly as they could.

"Wow, that was fast," I told Barry as I was packing up to leave.

"Yeah, and they don't even have super speed." He smiled, wrapping me in a hug.

"Barry... I don't know what I'm going to say to Iris. I mean, I basically broke the number one best friend rule."

"I'm sorry I made you keep this secret from Iris. It was hard for me to keep it from her too, but I thought we were protecting her. Do you want me to go back with you?"

I realized Barry was still wearing his suit, and his forehead was still bleeding slightly. His eyes were glowing with concern for me, and all I wanted to do was stay with him as long as I possibly could. I almost lost him today. I think I deserve a night off from the drama.

"Actually, I don't think I want to talk to Iris about it tonight. It can wait." Barry's eyebrows furrowed at my words. I don't blame him; it's not something I would normally say. "I was thinking we could just be together tonight. I think I deserve a night off."

He smiled, pulling out his cell phone. "I think you do, too." He dialed a number and put it to his ear while I stared at him with a puzzled look.

"Hey Eddie! Yeah man, everything's good. Look, I think Iris is having a particularly hard night, and I have plans with Katie tonight. Do you think you could come over and take her mind off of everything? Maybe take her out or something? I don't know where Joe is and I don't want her to be alone... Thanks man. Yeah, see you soon. Alright. Bye." He hung up and looked at me. "Looks like you're off the hook for tonight. So what are you thinking exactly? Because I can never tell. Do you wanna go somewhere, or...?"