CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

“We did it,” Jack exclaimed happily since all of the fear and worry was over.

“We sure did. I guess we’re all stronger and braver than we thought we were,” Jonas said. 

“We went through a lot but it was worth it,” Violet said looking at Jonas.

“Yeah, we almost died,” Sapphire said pointing to herself and Toph.

“Definitely was a traumatic experience,” Toph said.

“But you survived; we all did,” Jin said.

A low purr came up behind the group. “And he did too,” Jules added while petting Jorge.

"Guys," Toph said suddenly, her voice low. "Look." She pointed up to the sky, a bright white plane making its way through the clouded sky.

They all looked up towards the sky to see the plane flying but slowly lowering to the ground. They all began to take out their weapons when the door, towards the back of the plane, opened, a ladder tumbling down, but he did not descend it. Instead he stood above them.

Sterling!? Where have you been!?” Haven yelled worriedly, having been distracted by Toph's near-death experience.

“You all may have opposed the ways of this facility but I have not. I never did,” he said, his tone promising.

“What are you talking about?” Violet questioned him.

“You helped us, trained these people for this battle to take them down,” Jonas stated.

“I may have, but that doesn’t mean I meant it. I made you think you had a chance, didn't I? I sent you to an army of people I knew you wouldn't be able to fight."

"You were wrong," Jack said. "We killed plenty of guards, and Ivan-"

"That's the best part! I'm in charge now! It would’ve been Ivan, but it looks like that has already been taken care of. My crew may be small now but we will grow and become dominant. None of this is over; it just started." 

“Sterling. We have worked so much to be safe, to have no worries. Come with us and we’ll all live freely as we please,” Haven said desperately.

“I can’t do that. I have committed to this. This facility was just the start of the new world that my people and I will create.”

“Don’t do this,” Violet said.

“Join me, then. We’d make great leaders, you and me."

There were both mumbles and shouts of protest, but Violet looked him in the eye and agreed. "You always were a promising leader."

"Violet!" Jules hissed.

She started up the ladder. He reached out to take her hand to help her up. In an instant she'd pulled her gun from her jacket and shot at him, only succeeding in catching him in the leg. He stumbled back, blood pouring onto the floor. She jumped off the ladder as the plane took off again with a roar of noise.

They watched helplessly as Sterling was off, free to wreak whatever havoc he would. But they would have to stop him, somehow.

➵ 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐭जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें