||Six||-›Gulliver's Travels

Start from the beginning

Before Julius could leave, she spoke out.

“I am pleased I got to see you, that is why I beckoned you over,” she began, “I hope you can be patient with my brother, do not take everything he says or does to heart,” her voice sympathetic as she tucked a loose strand of hair back into her chignon.

“Of course, my lady.”

Julius would have scoffed if she wasn't who she was. Instead of admonishing her brother, she wanted him to cater to his every whim.

“I do not want you to think I am demanding you do anything or hinting at it⏤it is only a favour I am asking. I know how hard-headed my brother can be,” she clarified with a guilty smile at his expression.

“I will try my best, my lady,” Julius assured.

“Lady Elizabeth seems to be the only refined person amongst the Griffith children,” thought Julius.

Julius climbed the grandeur stairs which led to Reuben's bedchamber, hand gripping tightly onto the polished bannister and each step increasing his anxiety. It all reminded him of the first day he met the Duke's only son.

Just as Duchess Augusta had knocked on Reuben's door that day, Julius found himself doing the same, and just as that day, the arrogant man did not answer the door.

Julius slowly turned the brass knob and unlatched the door. The floral moreen curtains were pushed apart, sunlight illuminating the exquisite bedchamber which was a mix of Rococo and Georgian styled furnishing, with silver mouldings on the wall. Julius also noticed that the tapestry armchair the young man was seated on the day they met was now empty.

Julius's eyes scanned the room until they fell upon the ravishing looking young man who hadn't even noticed his entrance. Reuben Griffith was seated on his four-poster bed, with his leg crisscrossed. The young lord was clothed in a powder pink satin shirt, with his cravat untied, but remaining loose around his neck⏤his hair was in a dishevelled bun, and his pink full lips in a pout, which made his already youthful face look a few years younger. The young lord was clearly lost in thoughts.

Julius gulped, partly out of nervousness and partly at the sight of the boy whom he must admit was truly handsome.

Julius loudly cleared his throat, and in return, Reuben flinched.

“Who is there?”

Julius was confused. Why was Reuben asking when he was now directly staring at him?

Reuben tried to focus his gaze, he could only identify those he had known for years from the distance with which Julius stood.

“I am sorry for interrupting,” Julius muttered, taken aback by the alarmed expression Reuben wore.

“Oh, it is only you,” grumbled Reuben in that deep low voice of his that still surprised Julius. Reuben's expression shifted from alarmed into a scowl.

“How did you not notice me at first?” Julius found himself uttering before he could even think through the question.

“I hope you aren't slow-witted enough not to perceive I am practically blind,” Reuben snipped, untangling his crisscrossed legs.

“You noticed my presence in the past, that is why I asked,” annoyance briefly flicked across Julius's face, as he fought not to roll his eyes, but then again he should have, for the pompous fool wouldn't even know.

“That is only because I heard your voice,” replied Reuben, “I presume my door is still open, shut it,” he harshly added.

Mr Cadwell did as he was told, but Reuben's earlier display was still persistent in his mind.