||Twelve||-› Reuben(II)1⁄2

A/N; As you all know, Reuben is nineteen years old as of now, so how about we visit his past once more, to a few years back which shaped the bitter young man he is today :).

A little overflowing word
That any, hearing, had inferred
For Ardor or for Tears.

• Emily Dickinson.

With joy or sorrow, we yearn, yearn for the times we were clueless

☘︎Three Years Ago☘︎

England, Spring Of 1839.

Just at the tender age of ten, Reuben Noe Griffith was already his father's protégé.
His project.

He was homeschooled most of his life, in wishes he kept his focus on being future Duke as well as took over his father's shipping business once he was of age, or in other words "Know your responsibilities and master your métier," as his father all so loved to put it.

With all that, Reuben had become
decorous and well-bred. No longer troublesome like in his youthful days, now shy and reserved.

By the age of fourteen, he finally ceased homeschooling and was sent to a boarding school. 'Somerset's Mastery of Literature & Science Academy,' to be exact, was the most prestigious school in Wellington at the time. Now at the age of sixteen, Reuben was in his final year of Secondary High.

☘︎

"And with that, in 1601, England defeated the Irish and Spanish forces at the town of Kinsale, driving the Gaelic aristocracy out of Ireland and destroying the Gaelic clan system," Sir Robinson informed, pacing in front of the classroom.

Reuben was seated in the front row of the
monotonous classroom. Biting at the end of his fountain pen, he paid great attention.

"This and many reasons are why William Shakespeare's quote 'A peace is of the nature of a conquest; for then both parties nobly are subdued, and neither party loser,' will always be relevant."

"Not a day goes by without Sir Robinson blessing us with a William Shakespeare reference," a student sarcastically murmured, sparking snickers from the all-boys class.

Sir Robinson quirked a brow, that behaviour wouldn't be allowed or tolerated by any other teacher, but Sir Robinson was a kind and lenient man.

Reuben looked over his shoulder with an uneasy smile, already knowing that the remark was uttered by his close and stubborn mate, Thomas.

"That is only because that man's words were relevant in the past, is relevant in the present and will undoubtedly be relevant in the future."