||Four||-›Le stratagème

QOTD: What's your favorite gay(boyxboy) movie/ series that can be watched online for free because I'm broke lol.

Coiled in my velvet sleeve it lay.
And like a serpent, hissed

George Eliot.

Revenge is best served by Reuben

Reuben's Bedchamber ꨄ︎

Reuben's valet, Oliver Berrycloth, assisted him into a powder pink linen dress shirt.

It was only right for every gentry or noble person to be assisted by their valet or ladies-maid when being clothed, but Reuben Griffith loathed the act. He had convinced himself his sight issues were the reason why he was catered and clothed for.

“Is there no piano lessons today, young master?” Oliver asked, lip twisting into a small smile as he began arranging Reuben's dark shoulder-length curls with the copper hewitt comb he held.

Reuben was nearly done with being clothed, only needing to be assisted into his breeches, since he was now in his cotton knee-length undergarment.

“There is, however, I am not even slightly interested ...I might visit the library later instead,” Reuben gravelly replied, brows furrowed in a frown.

“If I remember correctly, young lord, Duchess Augusta has banned you from visiting the library,” the lithe middle-aged man reminded, as he tied the onyx cravat around Reuben's pale freckled neck.

“I haven't heard her say anything of that sort.”

“But she forbade you from reading, is that not what is done in a library?” Oliver knowingly cocked a brow.

“I am not in the mood for your sass, in fact, she is at Lady Prudence's in West Buckland, I couldn't care less what she demands.”

Mr Berrycloth was always patient with Reuben, even though he was mostly irascible and hostile. He had known the young man since he was only a newborn, and had watched him age into the young man he was now. A once curious boy full of dreams and hopes, had it all stolen away from him by a distressing disease that fell upon him and as a result, had him lose one eyesight and eventually was to lose the other.

Reuben wasn't the boy he knew anymore; he had become distant and bitter. Oliver was sure that if Reuben hadn't convinced himself that his pending blindness was the end of his world, then maybe he could return to being the joyous little flower boy he once knew.

“I still follow her orders, even if she isn't present,” Oliver readily informed.

“But she isn't my father, she is harmless! I see I have been foolish to have ever thought you were my accomplice,” the ill-tempered man grumbled underneath his breath, to which Oliver couldn't help but smile.