ten | the blue & white spirit

Start from the beginning

Zuko ran forward to the opposite side. The man must've heard his running because he drew his dual swords calling "Who's there"

Zuko jumped down, grabbing his wrists, causing him to drop his weapon. Mari flipped down as well, behind him, and bent a jagged piece of earth under his foot, causing him to slip and smash into a stack of crates, falling unconscious.

Zuko walked up and lifted the dual swords up, before putting them behind his back and turning to face Mari.

"Might as well run a few errands while we're at it." Zuko smirked under his mask.

The two spent that night stealing food from the marketers, bringing them back to a well rested Iroh in the morning. Placing their masks in a tree, they carried baskets of pastries and fruit to the cave.

"Where did you get these?" Iroh asked shocked.

"Where does it matter where they came from." Zuko said, walking away.

"Hmm." Iroh mumbled suspiciously, but all suspicions vanished when he bit into the pastry.

"Mmm!" He exclaimed as jelly fell from his lips.

---

Stealing had now become a routine for Zuko and Mari. They were quick with what they wanted and no one noticed a thing. The marketers blamed the children for the missing food and things. No one suspected them at all. Although Mari noticed Zuko had become more careless with what he was taking. He would steal things that were not a necessity, like bongos and rugs. It was almost as if he was doing it to ease his boredom, rather than provide for his uncle.

Mari understood why though. Zuko was used to feeling above everyone else, stealing from others successfully was his way of feeling more powerful.

"Looks like you did some serious shopping. But where did you get the money?" Iroh questioned at the new additions to the cave.

"Do you like your new teapot, Uncle?" Zuko asked avoiding the question.

"To be honest with you, the best tea taste delicious, whether is comes from a porcelain pot, or a tin cup. I know we've had some difficult times lately. We've had to struggle just to get by. But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honor in poverty."

Mari looked down, for she knew Zuko wouldn't agree.

"There's no honor for me without the Avatar."

"Zuko..even if you did capture the Avatar. I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now." Iroh said

"Then there is no hope at all." Zuko said.

"No, Zuko! You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Mari was touched by these words, even though it wasn't spoken to her, she still felt as if it applied to her life as well.

Zuko stood still for a moment until getting up and walking into the forest.

---

That morning, Zuko hadn't called Mari to go into the village, which surprised her. She sat by the fire with Iroh until they heard footsteps approaching. "I've thought alot about what you said." Zuko spoke up.

"Good Good." Iroh said, pleased.

"It's helped me realize something. We no longer have anything to gain by traveling together."

Mari whipped around "What?!" She exclaimed.

"I need to find my own way." He continued.

Mari turned to Iroh hoping, praying he'd say something but he stood silent. "But the deal." Mari said, feeling tears arising.

"I can't help you. The deal is off." Zuko said walking away.

"No." Mari breathed out, falling to her knees. She allowed tears to fall, knowing that she would never be able to help her mother. Because her only chance at doing so decided he needed to be on his own.

Mari cried in her palms and Iroh brought her into a warm hug. "I'm sorry Mari." was all he said, because he too knew that without Zuko, she would never be able to free her mother.